TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

narrowing rods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2009 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

.........BTW those 340 Mopars did work amazingly well for such a miserable design. ..........

Now that hurts. Ouch
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2009 at 7:32pm

BTW those 340 Mopars did work amazingly well for such a miserable design.

LOL
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2009 at 10:48pm

I've used a small surface grinder with a magnetic table to narrow rods - very easy.

I know you asked us not to try to push you away, but rod length is essentially meaningless for performance. A lot of successful EMC engines have used very short rods, and they were all about torque and power both. But for sure the destroke will kill power and torque roughly linearly with the cubic inche loss. Having shorter pushrods is more important for performance, one of the reasons race engines have gone to shorter deck heights and therefore shorter connecting rods and rod ratios. Absolutely everything else is more imprtant than connecting rod length.

Tried to point that out with fact/figures/science (that others have already studied and posted) but no one wants to believe it, gets upset for attempting to talk someone out of "doing something different"...........
Don't let facts get in the way.

DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 11:51am
From what I understand of the Pro Stock engines these days...which make a lot of horspower....use the largest possible bore to get your the cubic inch requirments and the shortest possible deck height is the way to go.

I can't remember where I heard it from but basically....from the pro stock builders perspective.....the main thing that matters about the connecting rod is that it doesn't break. The rod ratio is next to meaningless.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Jun/16/2009 at 12:02pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 2:03pm
Connecting rod length does make a difference. You guys keep siting examples of engines that are essentially "white paper" designs.  While it is true that given a clean design to start with, you can take advantage of the inherent advantages of short decks when everything else in the engine is manipulated to be optimum with that.  On a modified production engine design in an application that has entirely different parameters of efficiency than a Pro Stock engine, you can use the long rod to an advantage as long as you know what it characteristically changes in the operation of the engine. 

As for the comment that short strokes kill torque, that is as incorrect as is this discussion about rod lengths.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 3:43pm
Sorry about the miserable design 340 mopar comment, but - hey - this is an AMC forum!!

Your right Class Guy in that it is extremely difficult to actually compare rod length because so much of the rest of the engine is dependant on the basic arcitecture, and there are always compromises so a true test is almost impossible. But there is some pretty good research been done by many people, and while it is true rod length does have various effects, most of them are very small in relation to what else would have to change in the engine. In other words things like induction system design, piston weight, and pushrod length are far more important, and sacrificing these for a particular rod length would be a net loss.

As far as production based engines you are stuck with the basic design, so put a decent weight piston it and then use the right length rod to connect it to the crank. Keep the rod a minimum of 2 inches longer than the stroke so the bottom of the piston clears the crank counterweight, and don't make the piston too short such that the ring pack gets risky. After this the rod length is a result, and usually the rod length is longer than stock, but only because stock pistons are too tall and heavy.

All of the manufacturers do offer shorter deck blocks so high end engine builders can mess with this stuff. You can get a small block mopar with an inch cut off the deck.

For absolutely sure without a debate a destroke reduces torque - because it reduces displacement and torque is directly related to displacement. It will also reduce power, but that is also influenced by the induction system design. However, fundamentally stroke length has nothing to do with torque - as long as the displacement is constant. It can affect the shape of the torque curve because of the many other influences such as piston speed and induction design. The only reason ever to destroke is if your racing rules require a certain displacement or the racing is specific output based and you need higher rpm.

IIRC Nascar has a 9" minimum deck height rule, so with a 4.185" bore you get a 3.25 stroke, and with a decent piston a 6.2" rod is about the shortest you can fit. I'm pretty sure if they could they would be fitting shorter rods, but not because of rod length. There are so many other advantages of a shorter deck they would use if they could.

Actually, come to think of it, the 340 dodge really does suck! 9.6" deck with only 340 inches, 2" piston height (somewhere about 2 lbs), dumb combustion chamber, wacky lifter angle - What were they thinking???
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 4:13pm
de-stroking reduces torque because of a much more basic principal - a shorter crank to be pushed on.
Torque is a measure of pounds of force against a length or distance. Reduce that distance but keep the force the same, you reduce torque.
It's really quite that simple - and the reason tractors are long-stroke engines. TORQUE comes from longer strokes.
Even if you keep compression the same and the same peak combustion pressures, less stroke= less torque. To keep the same torque with less stroke, you'd need to increase the combustion pressures or the force pushing on the crankpin - via larger piston, whatever.

If I push on a breaker bar with 200 pounds of force and that bar is 1 foot long, that's 200 pound/feet. Reduce that bar to 6" and I've cut the torque in half, I no longer have the same mechanical advantage.
Folks building climbers as opposed to racers, or rock crawlers, or who want a pulling tractor................
I'll put my long-stroke F20 rated at only 19.xx hp against any other 19 hp engine as far as torque - I'll kill 'em with the torque. I can lug it until I can count the cylinders firing and it will keep moving.
In a turtle contest, the long stroke engines win every time.

Science DOES count.

Edited by billd - Jun/16/2009 at 4:21pm
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 4:24pm
When I was a kid, I watched my Dad amaze the guy who was renting the ground on our farm.  The tenant had a 3020 John Deere (50+ HP?) and was having to make three passes to pull a decent irrigation ditch (for tubes).  Dad hooked up our Farmall F-20 to the ditcher, stuck it in the ground as far as it would go, and pulled the ditch in one pass -- front wheels in the air for over half a mile.  IIRC, the F-20 had a max RPM around 1200 or so.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Class Guy Class Guy wrote:

Connecting rod length does make a difference. You guys keep siting examples of engines that are essentially "white paper" designs.  While it is true that given a clean design to start with, you can take advantage of the inherent advantages of short decks when everything else in the engine is manipulated to be optimum with that.  On a modified production engine design in an application that has entirely different parameters of efficiency than a Pro Stock engine, you can use the long rod to an advantage as long as you know what it characteristically changes in the operation of the engine. 

As for the comment that short strokes kill torque, that is as incorrect as is this discussion about rod lengths.
Way I understand it, the rods job is to connect the crank to the piston.......Well, some of these guys build engines........and you are arguing with them?????
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

de-stroking reduces torque because of a much more basic principal - a shorter crank to be pushed on.
Torque is a measure of pounds of force against a length or distance. Reduce that distance but keep the force the same, you reduce torque.
It's really quite that simple - and the reason tractors are long-stroke engines. TORQUE comes from longer strokes.
Even if you keep compression the same and the same peak combustion pressures, less stroke= less torque. To keep the same torque with less stroke, you'd need to increase the combustion pressures or the force pushing on the crankpin - via larger piston, whatever.

If I push on a breaker bar with 200 pounds of force and that bar is 1 foot long, that's 200 pound/feet. Reduce that bar to 6" and I've cut the torque in half, I no longer have the same mechanical advantage.
Folks building climbers as opposed to racers, or rock crawlers, or who want a pulling tractor................
I'll put my long-stroke F20 rated at only 19.xx hp against any other 19 hp engine as far as torque - I'll kill 'em with the torque. I can lug it until I can count the cylinders firing and it will keep moving.
In a turtle contest, the long stroke engines win every time.

Science DOES count.

It is absolutely true that torque is force times distance and longer stroke gives you a larger crank radius and therefore distance. Here's where it gets interesting. You said you would need a larger force pushing on the crank pin - via larger piston, whatever. This is exactly what happens when the stroke is changed and the displacement is kept the same.

Believe it or not for a given cylinder pressure and engine displacement the torque mathematically is identical regardless of the stroke. Torque is a direct function of displacement only. Now other things that change when you are messing with bore and stroke are likely to result in a different torque curve, but it's not because of the stroke change itself.

The reason long stroke engines are usually thought to have better torque is the engines are usually tuned more for a low rpm torque curve. That makes sense when you think of the smaller bore, smaller valve and induction system, likely a longer intake runner due to the larger deck, the better piston speed for a given rpm, and on and on. But stroke - by itself - has nothing to do with torque.

Once again a destroke will result in reduced torque - because it reduces displacement.

BTW the highest torque engine there is - per displacement - is a NHRA Pro Stock at 1.67 ft-lb per inch. Friggin amazing. Better than even an F1 engine. And if you see a higher torque than that don't believe it cause the dyno is bogus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic