TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Javelin maximum tire size fitment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2011 at 5:38pm
Very nice MTSman, looks great next to the "millions" of chevys (just came from OC maryland cruise show, 1500 camaros, chevelles, and 55s, only 5 amxs, 1 javelin. I am doing a 73 too but want to go with an "old school" 15" big rubber look in back so I am not sure I can convert your measurements.
Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
BayshoreBlues View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayshoreBlues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 8:05am
Nice to see my posting pop back up. been away from forum (access firewalled at work) for some time. As an update, still running the 245 fronts and 275 rears with no rubbing issues and have put about 1,800 miles on them. Yep, finally rolled over the 90,000 mile mark on my '72. 
Once owned'70 Donohue 360 :(
Now '72 Jav w/94K
'70 Jav (major project)
'74/'75 Wagoneer 401 project(s)
'74 Javelin 401 very late (the last?) built.
’85 Mustang GT 5spd
'68 AMX project
hdjealsm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdjealsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 6:30am
Perrybones - I went the route you mentioned.  I used 15 x 10 weld racing wheels in the back and 28 x 12 Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R tires.  They fit like a glove up under the rear fenders.  I bought 6 and 1/2 inch backspacing, but I am about 1/2 inch from the leaf springs.  If I had it to do over, I would probably go with a 6 inch backspacing for peace of mind.
70bigbadorange View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70bigbadorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2012 at 6:49pm
I've had my 70 javelin for about 20 years and ran many different combos. (I realize you have a different body style)  I'm going with a little different combo. I too want to fill up my fenders. I tried to put 245/60/15 on the front and they just barely rubbed So now I'm now running 235/60/14s on Magnum 7x14 wheels. (25" tall) Gives it a stock appearence that I like. Going with a 295/50/15 on magnum 8x15s. (26.6"tall) close to stock height. however I can't rotate like you want. One more thing. Your # are a little off. So here's the formula in case you don't already have it.  245/60/15 = 245 / 25.4 = 9.64 (is overall width) x .60 = 5.78 (profile or sidewall higth) x 2 = 11.57 (top and bottom of wheel) + 15 (wheel) = 26.57" tall.  You show 25.5.  maybe fat fingered, just wanted to make sure you don't waste some money. good luck and I love the looks of all the javelins if they got a decent paint job.
Paul
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70bigbadorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2012 at 6:57pm
what is your tire size on the back?
BayshoreBlues View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayshoreBlues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 9:18am

Hey Paul, good to see folks still looking up the old post.  The formula I used and still do today in the example you were using = 245/60/14: 245 X 60 = 14700 X 2 = 29400 / 2540 = 11.57 + 14 = 25.57 inches.  At least I think you were referring back to my original post.  Anyway, I've found that formula to be very accurate over time.  I have seen the one you use as well, I just find I can't remember it and I can the simpler one.  Also have seen/used this one: 245 X .60 X 2 = 294 / 25.4 = 11.57 + 14 = 25.57 inches.  Anyway, obviously I didn't go with the 14's due to price, etc.  I am now at almost 92k on the car, still not one issue of rubbing or contact of any kind and I've actually still never mounted the other pair of 245's on the back because the 275's just look so good.  You can definitely put more under there than that and I have occasionally wished I had, but after the 7 hours of driving it in one day to and from the AMC Lonestar Regional last month and then the next weekend about 2.5 hours for the Lakes Area Cruisers benefit show in Jasper, I'm thinking I'm glad I didn't.  There are stretches of road that Texas has deemed to pave very smoothly and on these the car glides like a dream.  Then there are others where the gravel feels like it was meant to literally chew the rubber off your tires and with this much contact patch and these low side profiles it gets old in a hurry.  Granted, in other vehicles it doesn't come off as bad and it sure stands up to Texas heat for years without a re-pavement, but dang is it ever uncomfortable in the Javelin. 

I did eventually get a cowl hood on it and a repaired grill (just in time for the 2011 Regional in Katy, TX), but she still needs a repaint as there hasn't been time nor budget for such just yet.  All the same, she gets lots of looks and many comments and questions and is fun to drive without having broken the budget.   

Going to try and attach a newer pic here (taken with my cell phone, so...).  If it doesn't work, just Google or search here for East TX AMC Cruise-In and there are pics of the event we hosted and she should be in a couple of those shots. 

Also a shot of it (cell phone again) about to be a livery for my Dad in the Lufkin Veterans Day Parade.  And no, I'm not near as old as some of you are probably thinking right now Wink.

Later,
Reagan

Once owned'70 Donohue 360 :(
Now '72 Jav w/94K
'70 Jav (major project)
'74/'75 Wagoneer 401 project(s)
'74 Javelin 401 very late (the last?) built.
’85 Mustang GT 5spd
'68 AMX project
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70bigbadorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 3:03pm
Love the looks of your Javelin. even like the C-stripe. Was thinking about a black C-stripe on my Orange 70. Or just one long stripe from the top/front of the front fender to the top/back of the back fender.  I will have to get some pics of mine on here pretty soon.  Our tire formulas all come out to the same numbers. that's the good thing about math. keep us all posted.
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic