TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Javelin maximum tire size fitment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGBJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2009 at 4:26am
I would think that would be the case too, untill I looked at Bayshore's pictures,  If he is running a 17x9.5 there in the pix, it looks as if there just might be the free space to get 11's in there, 11" is just 1.5" wider, if the offset could be finessed just right, (and that's the key factor that has always been the deal breaker).  With One-Half inch towards the outside and an One inch to the inside????  Maybe the wheel well lips will need to be gently rolled up clean and neatly (is neatly a real word?).
  If there were any interference issues, Prostreet refreshed my memory that the "Sexy and Voluptuous"* Javelins had a bit wider rear axle assembly (3" total, 1.5 " per side, is that about right??), and, just the housing has a wider track, the spring pearches are still in the same general area as '68-'70 Javelins, which is also the about the same as for the Gremlin, Spirits, Hornets, and Concords as well. But that would throw the existing Backspacing numbers figured out so far out of the window.  If 17x11"s with 6.5" Back Spacing doesn't quite fit, Where does the rim start to interfere, the leafs or the wheel housing . What about 17x10's with 6.0" Back Spacing?

*  from now on 71-74 Javelins are to be refered to as either Sexy or Voluptuous ,"Lumpy" is such an unflattering nick name for the beautiful 71-74 Javelin Body style don't you think?  Up here in the Pacific NW, the Nick name "Hump-ohs" has also been passed around a bit.

Pig Now if we had two friends with Hot looking wives, one friends wife is kinda straight, no- nonsense, a whole lot of business... but still very hot mind you.  Now, the other friends wife is just as hot, but she has some serious curves, kinda round up front, coming down tight in the middle and then curvin' back out behind with a pair of sweet looking quarter extensions moulded right in.......   We wouldn'nt call her "Lumpy" now would we?  (maybe we'd call her "Hump-oh" only if this friend was the kinda guy that didn'nt mind loanin' you even his best set of tools!) Ok, I am off the track, way into the haybales, here.. but I just had to say it.  Hee haw! He-He-He-haw! Wacko 
Please.  don't drink and type, the reputation you save could be your own!Drink

prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2009 at 10:02am
I do not have the stock axle in my car so my rim size and backspacing I gave only applies to my car. I swapped in an Explorer 8.8 with the disc brakes. I consider my Javelin to be a "Wide Body". I don't usually refer to it as a Lumpy but Lumpy is easier to type. With the air dams and side skirts I added, I was actually considering making the wheel arches even wider. I think it would have looked like all those add of flares guys were using before they started minitubing cars and decided against it. It is getting pretty common to minitub older cars to fit modern wide rubber but those cars are so common that it really doesn't hurt the value. You can actually purchase stamped, factory looking inner tubs for the more popular cars. The new repo Dynacron Camero can actually be ordered with these new minitubs already installed. I really like wide back tires and my 77 AMX has 18" wide rear rubber on 14" wide rims. I already tried these on my Javelin and they don't fit right. Maybe I should have added the extended flaresHammer Head
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Extract2th View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2009 at 3:31pm
I love the looks of these wheels and am considering them for my 73 Javelin project.  Looking at Discount Tire direct they have two different models of 17X8s in gunmetal.  One is an offset of 0 and the other at 7.  Which one of these did you find worked for you? My car is pretty much at stock height and could duplicate that look.  Since you have had them for a while are you still happy? or would you go a little wider on the backs yet?

Edited by Extract2th - Aug/12/2009 at 7:14pm
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2009 at 3:51pm
True, this is the first generation Javelin
 but with a couple of simple mods to the later one with it's more generous wheelwells, well, you judge for yourself...

No, no need to thank me. I'm just doing my part...Tongue

Steve
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2009 at 5:04pm
who needs a Jeep when you can have a Javelin like that LOL
MTSman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTSman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 1:59pm
Here's some more info for you guys. 17x10.5 (27mm offset 6.875"BS) on rear with 285 40ZR17 Nitto NT555, 17x9 (24mm) offset on front with 1.5" aluminum wheel spacers (the kind that bolt on and have another set of studs for the wheels) with 245 45ZR17 Nitto NT555's. Everything clears, the look is just right (for me) and it brings the old girl kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Edited by MTSman - Sep/02/2009 at 1:14pm
1973 PC AMX 401 auto
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 5:14pm
Very nice MTSman.  They really fill out the rear end of the car.  The price for those wheels isn't bad either.  It certainly gives food for thought.  Thanks for sharing the pics.
amx73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2009 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by MTSman MTSman wrote:

Here's some more info for you guys. 17x10.5 (27mm offset 6.875"BS) on rear with 285 40ZR17 Nitto NT555, 17x9 (24mm) offset on front with 1" aluminum wheel spacers (the kind that bolt on and have another set of studs for the wheels) with 245 45ZR17 Nitto NT555's. Everything clears, the look is just right (for me) and it brings the old girl kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Man that looks sweet!!! What was the backspacing on the front wheels? How much room do you have between the rear tire and the leaf spring? I really want to try and get 17x11 under my 73 AMX!! I think with 7" BS it could be done!!!
Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin'!
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2009 at 7:37pm
I will be putting 17x11" wheels with a 7" BS on my 72 Javelin, but it is not stock. I minitubbed the car, swapped the rear for an Explorer 8.8 and do not have leaf springs. My 4 link is mounted closer together than the original leaf springs were. I don't think a 7" BS will work with the stock setup. It took a lot of carefull measuring with the suspension at various angles before I determined what the widest rim was that I could use.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
MTSman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTSman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2009 at 11:19am
My rear wheels are 10.5" (bead to bead) but actually measure 11.75" outside to outside. The backspacing was 6.875" and that gave me about 3/4" to the leaf springs and just under 1 1/2" to the inside lip of the wheelwell. I stayed with the 285 rear tire because anything wider was getting too close to the spring for me. The front wheels are a 17x9 (10.25" overall) with 24mm offset so I would guess the backspacing comes out to 6.125" and that was way too much for a 17" wheel, the tie rod hit the rim and the spring tower at the top was up against the tire sidewall. I put the 1.5" spacer in and everything clears except for a slight rub at about half way to full lock where the tire touches the fender trim at the back of the wheelwell. A little massaging with a hammer and you can't see the difference but it doesn't rub anymore. It was definitely a learning experiencs as far as backspacing vs offset, two completely different measurements but I'm happy with the look and it handles like it's on rails.

Edited by MTSman - Sep/03/2009 at 10:45am
1973 PC AMX 401 auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic