TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68/69 Javelin disc brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68/69 Javelin disc brakes
    Posted: Oct/16/2020 at 2:32pm
Is there some difference between 68 and 69 disc brake setup. My 68 Javelin has front disc and Wilwood site and rep didn’t have a answer. Replacing my worn out parts with new. 68 Javelin X code. Any help would surely be appreciated.
Frank Alarcon
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2020 at 2:37pm
My old memory bank says they should be the same
they call me Capt RETIRED!
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2020 at 4:17pm
There is a slight bracket difference, IIRC, but the same calipers, pads, rotors from 65-70 regardless of the model.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2020 at 4:53pm
Wilwood's kit is made to fit the 1971 to 1974 Kelsey Hays disk brake setup. Wilwood only lacks the bolt on stub axle to make the kit adoptable to any AMC. The 1968/69 uses the old Bendix series E solid rotor four piston brake setup, a real PITA to work on and parts are not common for the old Bendix system either. As long as you have the correct bolt on stub axle shaft you can put on the Wilwood kit on the 1968/69 AMCs or pretty much any AMC and supposedly Nash back to 1937. Been there done that , as I put the later 1971/74 style disk brakes on my AMX . Best factory brakes AMC ever had.  Seems they all used the same type of bolt on stub axle. Jeep uses an up right with an integral axle like most other auto manufacturers . AMC has from best information we have four stud axles two for drum brakes and two for disk brakes. Look up here in this forum , as this has been discussed many times and there are photos some where. LRDaum
LRDaum
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2020 at 6:23pm
I put a Wilwood kit on my 69 Rambler.  Works great.  Should be very similar to a 68/69 Javelin since they have the same front suspension (unless I'm missing something).  I went from 14" wheels to 15".  I also used my old spindles.  That may vary with your Javelin.

My kit:

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Oct/16/2020 at 6:25pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2020 at 8:49am
IIRC it is the spindles that cause all the fuss.
IIRC there are 3 different ones, all have the same bolt spacing and also why the fuss.
I think 1 used different size bearings than the other 2.
The other 2 have the same bearing size but the pads that bolt to the upright are different but think 1/4".

Because of this the Willwood brackets don't bolt up right and center the rotor in the caliper.
I cant remember now if they made their kit for the thick or thin spindles?
If it was for the thin then you could add spacers and run it with the thick spindles.
Or it the   other way you would need to mill the thick pad to the thin size.
70 Javelin disc spindle pad - thin.
70 Javelin power drum - thick.
Sorry I don't have any measurements from the 76 Gremlin or later Concord disc spindles as this all came up for Willwood after I installed then on the 2 Javelins I have.
Yes the measurements are from when Willwood was getting a kit together, I even had to send in the Javelin disc spindle from that picture.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2020 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

Wilwood's kit is made to fit the 1971 to 1974 Kelsey Hays disk brake setup. Wilwood only lacks the bolt on stub axle to make the kit adoptable to any AMC. The 1968/69 uses the old Bendix series E solid rotor four piston brake setup, a real PITA to work on and parts are not common for the old Bendix system either. As long as you have the correct bolt on stub axle shaft you can put on the Wilwood kit on the 1968/69 AMCs or pretty much any AMC and supposedly Nash back to 1937. Been there done that , as I put the later 1971/74 style disk brakes on my AMX . Best factory brakes AMC ever had.  Seems they all used the same type of bolt on stub axle. Jeep uses an up right with an integral axle like most other auto manufacturers . AMC has from best information we have four stud axles two for drum brakes and two for disk brakes. Look up here in this forum , as this has been discussed many times and there are photos some where. LRDaum

When you say "stub axle," are you referring to the spindle?

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

When you say "stub axle," are you referring to the spindle?

I would say yes, the bolt on part.
I just don't know if the 71> is the thick one that would work and IIRC Wilwood did not know other than to say 71 on up. I also don't remember if the thick pad axle uses the same bearings as the 71 up do?
I think they went with the 71> as they felt they would sell more of them but most come with disc brakes where the <70 did not and if they did were ones you cant get parts for or have the calipers rebuilt (back when).

Again the pictures above are of 70 disc (thin) and drum (thick) spindles from a Javelin.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2020 at 11:48pm
On an AMC, the part with four mount pads and that accepts the wheel bearings is the spindle, the vertical part that runs from lower control arm to upper control arms is the knuckle.

GM and other brands have those two component-functions mated in a single casting/forging, and in GM-land they call it a "spindle". AMCs are separate parts bolted together. 

I've seen discussion in other forums muddied by those names, is why I mention this here. In AMC land they were always separate parts.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2020 at 5:05pm
Yes, Spindle is the same as stub axle. Just like some places you order a pop and other places you order a soda. Different names for the same thing just depends on where you grow up and where your instructor grow up and what you called it . Or we can get into the to-ma-to or to-mat-o thing. But let's just call the whole thing off. LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic