TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Electric wipers don't always park properly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric wipers don't always park properly
    Posted: Oct/15/2020 at 8:49am
The reason that I say this is because as I was bench testing my wiper motor before it put it in the AMX, I had a battery + lead on the switch wire, a ground on the motor to the batt and the motor would turn but not stop. I grounded the switch and it stopped perfectly. That's why I mentioned that the switch itself must be grounded.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2020 at 8:23pm
The switch is directly attached to the metal dash. There's also an internal tooth lock washer on the threaded part of the shaft that secures it to the dash so it SHOULD be grounded. Just to me sure though I'll put a meter on it and take a continuity/ohms measurement between the switch body and ground.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
davec1957 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davec1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2020 at 6:32am
I had a similar problem with the wiper "park" feature, in my case it was a simple grounding/wiring issue as jerseyjoe suggested.
1970 AMX Bayshore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
1970 AMX Commodore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2020 at 6:45pm
MAKE SURE THE SWITCH ITSELF IS GROUNDED.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2020 at 11:47am
I agree, a probable park switch issue. Will need to troubleshoot further.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2020 at 4:20pm
Here's a post where billd posted the internal wiring of a wiper motor.  It looks to me that when you turn the wipers off, the motor is energized in the reverse direction through the park switch which then opens in the park position.  I'm thinking you have a problem with the park switch itself.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2020 at 11:27am
I remember BillD's post as well but my issue is that most of the time the wipers simply stop in place, rather than park when I turn the wiper switch off. I have to keep turning them on and off multiple times and eventually I'll hit a spot where they will reverse and park properly.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2020 at 8:34am
I recall billd talked about how to adjust the park position in these motors. Can't seem to find the post now.  
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2020 at 7:22am
Replaced the wiper switch and the problem still exists. Must be a problem within the wiper motor. Are there contacts inside the gear housing for the park function ?
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2020 at 6:13am
The wiper motor on my 67 Ambassador was rebuilt by David Bass about 4 years ago and it seems to wipe perfectly, but.. when I turn the wiper switch to off the wipers usually won't park properly. They will either just stop where they are or they will reverse and stop about 6" up from the base of the windshield. If I turn the wiper switch on and off a dozen times or so I can get them to park properly. How can I determine if the problem in the motor or in the wiper switch ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic