TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Finding an OD trans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding an OD trans
    Posted: Sep/01/2020 at 11:48am
In the continuing saga of wanting an overdrive for my '59 Super six, I saw an ad on OfferUp in neighboring Oregon and after an email exchange, struck a deal with the owner of this Rambler with an OD!  Got the whole car for $300 and I added $150 for his bringing it to me, which to me will be worth it to have that "4th" gear!  Plus another engine and lots of good stainless and sheet metal to store.  Going to save as much as I possibly can in the rafters of my shop and use that driveline in my car.

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2020 at 9:27pm
Not sure about that year but later years used slightly lower rear gears with overdrive. That gave a bit more power in low gear and nice cruising in high OD.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2020 at 6:23am
All years used a lower gear with OD. Earlier cars used the lowest gears as there weren't many high speed highways until the early 60s. Some of the 50s and real early 60s cars used 4.11 gears, later years used 3.31 and a few as high as 3.08. 1958 big six cylinder cars used a 4.38 axle with OD as standard, 4.11 as an option. 250 V-8s used 4.44/4.10 optional, Ambassadors (327) used 4.10 only (with or without OD). Americans used 4.11/3.78 optional (only flatheads for 58-59). Standard and optional were flipped for 59 -- the higher 58 optional gear was made standard, lower standard became optional.

Even if you are going to use the car as a highway cruiser for long distances, you still need a minimum of a 3.31 axle. The standard trans (no OD) axle was 3.78, so you should be good with that. Probably can't use OD until 60-65 mph, but that should be fine for a highway cruiser. A better cam and the 2V carb would be recommended.

Edited by farna - Sep/02/2020 at 6:25am
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2020 at 9:17am
Back in the day, you could buy a Hudson with 4.89 gears with overdrive.

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2020 at 10:48am
What a bargain. I have looked at three 50's ramblers. All of them were being advertised as restored good condition. All of them around 5k plus. All of them were complete piles o crap. Rusted out dangerous floors frames rockers. The seller always acted surprised.. yeah right. Teepee auto salvage in Sunnyside washington has about 15 50's ramblers in their yard. I bet one of em has an od.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2020 at 11:45am
I had a 62 Classic wagon with factory overdrive that the previous owner had either ordered with the higher rear end gear (lower numerically) or had the differential replaced at one time.  It did fine in the flat areas of California.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2020 at 7:23pm
I'm thinking I might just use the junk car's rear axle instead of mine for just that reason.  Will pull the shafts, check & repack the bearings and replace the inner seals while everything is out.  I also like to clean and paint stuff when they're al fresco.  One look at the tranny and I've got my work cut out for me as it's encrusted with dirt and oil.  Another plan is to visual the gears and clean what I can inside.
Having owned Studebakers for years, I'm familiar with Borg Warner's straight and OD trannies for the sixes and the eights of the same era so I figure they likely used the same internals for Ramblers..?
Just wondering if I should replace synchros & bearings, again, while it's on my workbench.  WWYD?

Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2020 at 5:43am
If there's doubt, change 'em out...that's my motto. No sense in having to pull the unit again.

Lazy man's logic: work twice as hard now so you don't have to work 3x as hard later.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2020 at 10:25am
Originally posted by IowaTom IowaTom wrote:

I'm thinking I might just use the junk car's rear axle instead of mine for just that reason.  Will pull the shafts, check & repack the bearings and replace the inner seals while everything is out.  I also like to clean and paint stuff when they're al fresco.  One look at the tranny and I've got my work cut out for me as it's encrusted with dirt and oil.  Another plan is to visual the gears and clean what I can inside.
Having owned Studebakers for years, I'm familiar with Borg Warner's straight and OD trannies for the sixes and the eights of the same era so I figure they likely used the same internals for Ramblers..?
Just wondering if I should replace synchros & bearings, again, while it's on my workbench.  WWYD?

What is the model trans T96?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by First_Gear First_Gear wrote:

Originally posted by IowaTom IowaTom wrote:

What is the model trans T96? Studebaker parts won't work in a rambler T96. Trust me I tried. Fortunately the amc T96 synchros are still available if that's what you have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic