TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Finding an OD trans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding an OD trans
    Posted: Jan/05/2021 at 9:48pm
Oh........my.........God...........oh my God tom..... I'm so sad that's what happened to that rambler. But I geuss you needed to do it and a car can't always be saved. We're about to exchange emails so I'll ask the other questions in the email about what's left of the rambler, I'll shoot you a email in a sec!
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2021 at 1:28pm
As well you should be proud!  Not many among the general population of both our countries willing to have, fix & drive such a car!
Here's what became of my '58 Super parts car.  All gone to the recycler now.

1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2021 at 12:58pm
Hi iowa tom, I went alittle crazy to see your post of my a rambler almost identical to mine so I wanna post a pic of mine to show you my car, I'm pretty proud of my car!!

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2020 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by First_Gear First_Gear wrote:

If you can, use all new snap rings and tap around the edges of them with a hammer and a punch  to make sure they are fully seated when you re-assemble.

I can't emphasize enough how important this is. GOOD ADVICE.

I ruined my first T96 rebuild when the input shaft clip somehow wasn't seated, the shaft pushed inward and ground the rollers to bits. 

Transmissions have a lot of close-fit, close-tolerance, very hard parts. So things seem stuck/sticky a lot, and snap rings need to be seated, checked, and double-checked. You just can't be in a hurry, and you don't want to do this twice!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2020 at 5:49pm
Yikes!  I thought of the distinct possibility of drawing blood when I was taking them off.  
I've heard it said you're not going to fix it until you bleed on it.  Ha!  All my cars have hidden DNA of mine and not by choice.
I found a great pair of snap ring pliers on Ebay that made the job much easier.
Also got the synchro thing off today by using a friends arbor press.  Another example of jobs going better with the right tools.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2020 at 2:43pm
I remember mine was wedged on there too. It did slide off though. One thing to mention. If you can, use all new snap rings and tap around the edges of them with a hammer and a punch  to make sure they are fully seated when you re-assemble.

They sure are difficult to remove. I have a large scar on my leg where I stabbed myself with a screwdriver wrestling one of those snap rings.
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2020 at 11:39pm
Tom - That's the news I needed to hear.  I'll use a soft metal to tap around the circumference until it gives. 
Your pages online and advice are super helpful.  Without you and the other good guys who've chimed in, I don't know if I'd have the 'nads to tear this down by myself.  As it turns out, someone would have had to.  A previous owner broke lots of teeth on first gear and the gear under it in the cluster...both of which I'm having to replace.
I snagged the $65 one on Ebay and found a new first/reverse gear, synchros and a gasket kit.  Will go to a local bearing store for the two last things I think I need.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2020 at 11:13pm
Have you looked at my T-96 assembly pics? They're not too thorough but there are some photos that might help. 

https://www.sr-ix.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Transmission/index.html

Is pretty much the same as your photo on page 1.

You've got 50 years of hardened lubricant. It's (brass) hammer time! Or aluminum. Or a chunk of aluminum and a smallish hammer. The outer synchro slide, that the shift-lever fork controls, has the stamped, spring loaded bumps/teeth that slide on that grooved collar thing that is currently stuck on the input shaft. Tap it off with an aluminum block or with a smallish hammer on the aluminum. Work it around the circumference. 

It really did take me three washes to get the parts clean. That s**t is cooked on there!

That's all the synchro stuff there on the main shaft. It's all close-tolerance stuff, so even super clean and oiled right, it seems to "stick" if you don't have it exactly square to each other.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2020 at 6:54pm
I'm thinking that, too, Joe.  I'm trying to get the gears off this shaft, the nose of which goes into the clutch shaft, with the 13 needle bearings.  The manual says once I get the clutch shaft off, the gears should slide off.  Not with those overlapping fingers you see in the pic.  
I just don't want to start banging on them or applying force where I shouldn't.  Thanks!
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2020 at 5:41pm
Explain a little more completely what you are trying to do and someone may be able to help. If that "mushrooming" feature is from the factory, there has to be a work-around.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic