TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front Wheel Bearings on ’70 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azssamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Wheel Bearings on ’70 AMX
    Posted: Aug/05/2020 at 9:23pm
My ’70 AMX has gone from factory 4-wheel drum brakes, to factory front disk brakes to aftermarket front disk brakes. But I can’t remember what spindle is on the car now with the aftermarket disk brakes. 
Drum or disk spindle? Is there a difference?
I pulled the bearings out for a p/n look today and I have Timken LM11949 outer and Timken LM67048 inner bearings. I’ve consulted auto parts sources online and nobody I found lists Timken front bearings. 
I am looking at another manufacturer for drag race brakes and they want to make sure the spindle I have is correct to market as compatible to the largest group. I don’t want to say who the manufacturer is quite yet but will share once this gets ironed out. 
Any / all help greatly appreciated! 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2020 at 10:31pm
This is the FIRST hit I get "LM11949" on Google - main search page. I think you may need to change devices or search engines.
I know that search engines tailor their search for the user so I only search for car parts one device. And car parts are the first thing displayed.
Rock Auto has an excellent menu system, try there first.
azssamx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azssamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2020 at 12:21am
I’ve already been there...it does not answer my question “are these bearings for a drum or disk brake spindle?” Or are the one in the same? 
azssamx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azssamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 6:55pm
Is the spindle interchangeable between a drum spindle and a disk spindle? And what year Javelin / AMX spindles are interchangeable? 
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 1:21pm
Does Rockauto list the same # for both drum and disc? There's the answer.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
azssamx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azssamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 7:39pm
RockAuto does not differentiate between drum or disk. However, I got an email response from Kennedy American, I think it was Kennedy, one of the AMC vendors, that said there were many spindles of varying size but did not elaborate. 
I have researched the question on the search history here and can not find that this question has been brought up in the past. Find that hard to believe but I guess I’m the first. 
Thanks for any help! 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 9:50pm
LM67048 is simply the inner bearing rollers and cage from SET6, for the hub inner bearing set. It's probably the most common AMC bearing set.

You want SET2 for the outer (small) set and SET6 for the inner larger bearing. And grease seal, National 7022S.

I keep a spreadsheet of part numbers. feel free to look at it...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

azssamx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azssamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2020 at 8:52pm
Thank you very much for the spreadsheet and info! I guess I’ll go with “I have the most common spindle” 
The brake manufacturer would have liked to know he can make parts for a “factory disk brake spindle” or “a factory drum brake spindle” but I will tell him he needs to advertise the brakes will fit spindles using these bearings and races. 
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2020 at 12:37am
The reason rock auto or other parts stores didn't differentiate, is because in 1970 there was no difference in bearings between disc or drum.
In fact most AMC spindles take SET2 and SET6 bearings. There are exceptions, but those involve later disc brake setups (these used SET16 & SET17), or aftermarket/modified spindles (SET3 & SET5 or SET12 & SET13).

The Timken numbers in the first post correspond to the bearing cones used in SET2 & SET6 bearings.

Do you know whose disc brake setup are you using? There is a difference between spindles, and the difference isn't necessarily the bearings. The most common difference is the thickness of the mounting flange of the spindle. There were several different thicknesses used, and most disc brake conversions take only one thickness into account.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2020 at 12:57am
SET6 is used in AMC-15 rear axles too. Same part.

I think Timken got bought out so I've stockpiled some, about a year ago. Parts quality is plummeting. Not sure if Timken is still good or not.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic