TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front Wheel Bearings on ’70 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azssamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2020 at 8:46pm
I’ve never heard of “set”, is that a reference # that one can order by? I’ve always used the p/n. 
Thanks
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2020 at 9:42pm
Yes, SET6 is a part number.  It's all in the spreadsheet URL I posted a few messages back:

front: SET2 (outer, small) SET6 (inner, large). SET6 is LM67048 (bearing) + LM67010 (race).

and

AMC15 axle: BR6 is SET6 is ( LM67048 + LM67010 ) is AMC/Rambler front hub AND AMC/Rambler rear axle bearing.

YOu should be replacing them as a set, if you need to replace them. I wash mine in a mix of solvent plus motor oil, shake 'em till all the griet and grease is out, and examine carefully. Nearly all of the really old bearings that were decently lubricated, I found, remain usable. WHen I see discoloration or grooving, I replace them. New parts quality is highly variable and the older Timken and other brands rarely suffered from poor quality, just wear and (lack of) maintenance.

Edited by tomj - Aug/21/2020 at 9:47pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

azssamx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azssamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2020 at 11:30pm
Never knew bearings were packaged and identified as a “Set-“, learn something everyday! Found the AMC Set2 and Set 6 is same as 1967-1978 Camaro. Makes this an easy job. I will post all results once I have parts on car. 
Thanks again for the help! 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2020 at 6:16am
Almost all front wheel hubs and bearings are the same, drum or disc brakes, as far as bearings and actual spindle dimensions (the part the bearings ride on) are concerned. The lone exception is that 1975-78 used a different, larger bearing set. This corresponds to the Big Bendix (3.1" piston caliper) for all 75-76 models and 75-78 big cars. For some reason AMC kept the big bearings on the 77-78 small cars but the caliper changed to a 2.6" piston.

The other difference in spindles is the base thickness. The bolt pattern is the same from at least 1952 (1950 Nash Rambler... not sure about the big Nash cars before 52). The base thickness varies depending on width of drum and type of brakes. Disc brake bases are thicker than drums (except the early four piston Bendix discs), wider drums a little thicker than narrow drums. Easy enough to swap them -- use spacers (grade 8 washers are hard and will work) to center the caliper. A bit harder with drums as you can't see as clearly what's going on, but the base of a disc spindle can be milled down if necessary.

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic