TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

overheating 66 Classic 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2020 at 11:45am
If it is still belching coolant, a simple combustion gas test in the coolant will tell you if there is a head gasket leak.
Your post on the blocked flow of the old rad seems troublesome. If someone was using well water and not distilled water to keep topping up the cooling system, I've seen rads and engine blocks filled with concrete like calcium deposits.
Take out the block drain plug and try flushing the block out before putting in the new rad.
Try out the new rad with good coolant/distilled water.
Measure how much the system takes and compare that to the service manual
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2020 at 6:53pm
I would never use well water. Deep wells have tons of minerals, iron, calcium, other fun stuff. Even a shallow well at, say, about 35 feet, will have enough minerals to cause issues. I have to keep changing and cleaning things around the house because our well water has a lot of minerals in it and it's a "shallow well". The well on the farm was about 220 feet deep and you could taste the minerals - but I loved the taste LOL. 

Belching coolant (going by Trader's post, didn't read backwards) means one of two things - 
Combustion gases getting in - head gasket, cracked block or head, etc. 
or
A hot spot causing the coolant to boil. That gas from boiling has to escape like you belching and almost barfing in your mouth (ew, gross!!!!!) - same effect. 

A BAD CAP can cause coolant belching and over-heating - if you haven't already tested the cap for 14 psi, do so. IF it fails, replace it, period. It's not uncommon for parts of the engine to cause coolant in spots to hit 212 degrees and with no pressure, IF it's pure water, it will boil. 
I assume you are running a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water????? If not, you are asking for trouble. 

I don't run distilled water, but I won't run well water, and some towns I won't run their water. Some town water I run with no issues. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2020 at 10:23pm
That year water pump probably came with a plastic impeller and it may have disintegrated. It happened to me.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2020 at 10:24pm
I've seen even steel impellers on reman pumps come loose and cause a heating issue..........
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2020 at 8:03am
Your 232 has a bad head gasket.

I believe you can just unbolt the combination intake/exhaust manifold and move it over to the side a bit in order to pull the head off. -Use various blocks of wood to support the weight of the assembly from underneath?

This would be a good time to overhaul the rocker shaft system; the front lubrication holes for the rocker arms nearly always get plugged up first. Use a wire to unplug the holes, clean all the parts -blow out the rocker shaft with compressed air if possible. Reassemble the rockers back on the shaft with Lucas assembly lube or STP.

Use a 'shop vac' to clean off the top of the block, especially to clean the head bolt holes and the oil  passageway to the rocker shaft.

Don't overdo the spray on Copper Coat head gasket sealer -just a thin light coat; more is not better.

Get a Chilton's Repair Manual!
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2020 at 12:19pm
Thank you all, I knew I would get good advice here. When I get a break from the hay field I will get back on it.
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2020 at 10:38am
I pulled the water pump and its been changed at some point and looks perfect. I didn't have a gasket so I skim coated rtv and reinstalled. I drilled a 1/8 hole in the new thermostat and I'll reinstall at 12 oclock when I get back on it.
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2020 at 10:48am
I also found that the head of the front manifold bolt has been broken off for quite some time from the looks of it. It hasn't been leaking any exhaust gas from around it and when I tried to loosen some of the other bolts they did not want to budge so I will not fix that for now.
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2020 at 12:05pm
Something I just thought of is that there are probably reverse rotating water pumps that will fit that engine. If someone put on a pump from a serpentine system it would be the wrong one.
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2020 at 3:50pm
While I had the thermostat and water pump off I blew compressed air back and forth through each opening while sealing it off and I got some crud to break loose. I reassembled everything and it's working! I let it run until the thermostat opened and rusty water started circulating. It looks like someone used stop leak so I hope it's not a bad head gasket. I'm going to do Prestone flush and drain until I get clean water running.

I cant drive it right now because its behind my 59 El Camino project but I will give it a test drive ASAP.

What size are the passages and what happens if one is still plugged?   
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic