TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Javelin Engine Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 2:23pm
Yeah, there's that too. A 50 year old transmission that wasn't used in anything larger than a 290/304.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 3:04pm
Agreed. Anything is "do-able", even an LS swap. The bottom line is to weigh all the options vs. your pocketbook and find a solution.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Drooque View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drooque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 3:53pm
Yes, the original plan was to find an engine and trans to swap. The current transmission with the 290 was rebuilt well and has less than 50 miles on it.
I agree the Jeep would be a great project in itself, but we just don't have the funds to hold on to it long term. We would have to turn around and sell it quickly. I'll fess up, I can get this Jeep for $3500.
So here is crazy idea number 3:
My Gremlin has a 258 and, I am pretty sure, a 904 transmission, stock low miles. It runs pretty good, but has some carburetor problems. If we did use the 360 out of this jeep, or something from a similar vehicle, would the engine bolt up to that 904 as long as I kept the flywheel and balancer from the 360? If we got a better intake/carb for the 258, would it power the Jeep? How much would the value of the Jeep decrease if it had a 258 in it?
Thanks again everybody.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 4:27pm
With a limited budget, perhaps it's time to drop back 10 and punt. Enjoy the Javelin as it is and collect the funds needed to do what you really want to do with it.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 5:03pm
I agree.
As to the OP, the rebuilt M44 has at least one good run in it before it would probably have a massive coronary.
Same  would apply to an "unbuilt" 904 from behind a 258.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

With a limited budget, perhaps it's time to drop back 10 and punt. Enjoy the Javelin as it is and collect the funds needed to do what you really want to do with it.
Pretty much it here.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

He’s right. You’re better off driving and enjoying it rather it sitting all torn apart and no money to fix it. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Drooque View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drooque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 7:25pm
Thanks again everyone. I am scheduled to purchase the Jeep tomorrow morning. It was too good of a deal to pass up even if I don't use the engine for the Javelin. I figure I can get it painted and resell it for twice what I would have into it. That would go a long ways into financing stuff for the Javelin.
So hypothetically, If we enjoy the Javelin as is while we save and keep our eyes open for a different drivetrain, what would be your opinion as the way to go with it in the future, decent driveability plus okay times at our nearby 1/8th mile track? We were initially looking at some sort of retromod without getting too far from AMC. We have a HEMI from a police cruiser, but it's too big. It would take more modification than we want to do. We then decided a 360/390/401 with EFI was the best option?
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Drooque Drooque wrote:

We have a HEMI from a police cruiser, but it's too big.
Not too big. Mopar_guy has one in his Javelin. It's a viable swap. Not my cup of tea, but if you're considering it, I suggest you contact him.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2020 at 8:48pm
There is definitely going to be a running driving drop out engine somewhere out there... You'll run across a good engine someday... Maybe land a 998 trans out of something... Who knows... You could score an entire package from somebody who might be LSX swapping something... Keep your eyes open and save your money in the meantime...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic