TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Should I re-braze the fender?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I re-braze the fender?
    Posted: Jul/03/2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by RSX 401 RSX 401 wrote:

As old as our vehicles are, is there really any guarantee all the brazing was done at the factory? Some could have been done over the years by a previous owner or a body shop. Regardless of the source, that is the way things were done. In the early years, auto manufactures, body shops and individuals did not have what I would consider as modern technology.......wire feed welders. (Heck, I didn't own a wire feed welder until about 1990 and was very nervous to use it.)  Repairs/corrections were performed with a torch and brass rods. I've even used old coat hangers to make similar repairs using an oxy/acetylene torch. Now, I use a wire feed welder and don't even have a torch. 

If you have the capability to make these repairs, the method is up to you. What are you comfortable with, what equipment do you have and what is your skill level? Personally, I prefer using the wire feed welder.

Can you post a photo of the area you're telling us about? 

The brazing is factory not later repairs. Its well documented that AMC did this on the earlier cars. I have all the equipment. I have a torch mig welder, the works. I just wasn't sure how "structural" these brazes were. Sounds like they aren't very important.
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2020 at 6:19am
As old as our vehicles are, is there really any guarantee all the brazing was done at the factory? Some could have been done over the years by a previous owner or a body shop. Regardless of the source, that is the way things were done. In the early years, auto manufactures, body shops and individuals did not have what I would consider as modern technology.......wire feed welders. (Heck, I didn't own a wire feed welder until about 1990 and was very nervous to use it.)  Repairs/corrections were performed with a torch and brass rods. I've even used old coat hangers to make similar repairs using an oxy/acetylene torch. Now, I use a wire feed welder and don't even have a torch. 

If you have the capability to make these repairs, the method is up to you. What are you comfortable with, what equipment do you have and what is your skill level? Personally, I prefer using the wire feed welder.

Can you post a photo of the area you're telling us about? 
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

I have no idea why they brazed the fenders and I'd love to hear a convincing explanation. They're held in place by the bolt at the bottom that goes vertically into the rocker area (at least on Javelin/AMX). They also brazed a lot of the sheetmetal around the trunk opening. I assume they did this to tack it in place before the spot welding as the assembly jigs were in place and blocking access. IIRC the roof was also brazed at the A pillar.
But why the fenders?
Did Chevy braze sheetmetal like this?

Some of the brazing is structural. I had to re-do one near the tail light housing that had failed because of minor crash damage. I also saw the one near the A pillar when I re-did the lead there. I may imitate it with some JB weld or something just for fun since I don't want to burn the crap out of my nice fresh paint on the back side of the fenders.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 10:10pm
We used to MIG tack weld truck body panels to on gigs and then took them off to spot weld as there was no way to do a spot weld on the gig.
I believe pacerman is likely correct that brazing was done for alignment, but on a gig or form, then removed for spot welding.
Back in the 60's and 70's a brazed "tack" would not need finishing like a MIG or Stick weld and be far cheaper.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

I have no idea why they brazed the fenders and I'd love to hear a convincing explanation. They're held in place by the bolt at the bottom that goes vertically into the rocker area (at least on Javelin/AMX). They also brazed a lot of the sheetmetal around the trunk opening. I assume they did this to tack it in place before the spot welding as the assembly jigs were in place and blocking access. IIRC the roof was also brazed at the A pillar.
But why the fenders?

Well, if Steve doesn't know why they did it, I guess I don't know after all. I was stating what I thought I had learned from 20 years or so in the hobby.
Joe

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 9:13pm
But why the fenders?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 10:13am
The brazing was only done because of he way AMC assembled cars. They were assembled complete with final paint in a separate body plant and needed to be hauled a short distance or down from Milwaukee on trucks to the Kenosha plant. The bracing would not have been done if AMC had not detected problems in panel alignment years ago and needed make sure that the cars were "straight" and ready for assembly. I have not and would not rebraze a fender unless I could see that it helped correct or solve an alignment problem. But I am only a hobbyist. joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 9:50am
On my 66 classic the fenders were brazed in two places. I painted the insides of my fenders but have not installed them so brazing will burn some of the paint though it would not be seen since it's behind the splash shields. Should I bother brazing? This car will be in daily service as a second car when I'm done. I just don't want the fenders flopping around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic