TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mr. Black....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mr. Black....
    Posted: Jul/29/2020 at 8:33am
The replacement carb worked for a few minutes then the accelerator pump died. I ordered a rebuild kit for the original carb which was black from the fire and much of the plastic parts had melted. I was thinking of how to clean it and I decided to try some sort of acid. So into a baggie went the choke housing along with 5% vinegar. It looks great so the rest of the carb went into a bucket filled with the same vinegar and it is looking good. It even cleaned rust off of the butterfly with a little brushing with a wire brush. Now that I have the '76 Sportabout, I can get a good look at what engine compartment should look like.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2020 at 9:22am
The hood is done and not a moment too soon. Have a '76 Hornet Sportabout X coming in from California, so I need the garage for it.Going to see if I can make the carb work that came yesterday. It's a Ford unit but I just want to determine if the engine is any good. Doesn't have to have all of the linkage connected, just enough to get the engine going. If it works, it gets a 4 barrel.

Also tried to figure out the burnt wiring coming through the firewall. If the engine is OK, I'll have to remove the dash to get that wiring taken care of.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2020 at 2:03pm
Bought a new tank AMC-1 on Amazon Prime and figured while I was at it, bought new straps as well. Then I ordered a new float assembly from Galvins. We figured out that there had been an under the hood fire which explains the burnt wires coming through the firewall. The carb is so rusted that I bought one from a member here. Once we get that on and determine if the car runs good enough to keep, we"ll change out the tank, float, fuel lines and straps. Then it is out for a test drive. And just to keep things interesting, the really bad tire blew, literally. So George W dropped off a spare from his stash and I had that mounted this morning. Since Mr. Black has the Rallye wheels, I will put 15" on the back from Wheel Vintiques if I find that the AMC center fits them. And this morning I put another coat of paint on the hood. Next up is to  get the Eagle fender ready for the driver's side.

Later!
Mr. Ed

74javeloon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74javeloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2020 at 5:38pm
Your welcome Sean!
74 Javeloon
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2020 at 2:56pm
George W came over today and he climbed under Mr. Black and managed to get the engine to move a bit. This after the Marvel sat in the cylinders for a few days. We cranked it with the battery and it spun nicely. So we buttoned up the motor and put the cleaned plugs back in. The firing order was way out of whack! The story I got was this car was taken off the road in '91. Hmm. Wonder if that is the reason why? We got that right and hit the key and gave it a shot of starting fluid. Fired right up. Did it again and again it fired right up. So we squirted some gas into the carb (which last week was so rusty, nothing moved) and it ran for a second or two did that a few times and decided the carb needs to be rebuilt so off it came. But I am very pleased that it ran and ran well. I have to pull the tank because we pulled a vacuum on the line from the tank so the sock is probably clogged with crud. New float assembly on order.

So it was two steps forward!

Thanks to George W.

Later!
Mr. Ed

SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2020 at 7:01am
Awesome! Thanks for the lead Andy! I'll have to take a look and see what all they have.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74javeloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 8:49pm
74 Javeloon
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74javeloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 8:46pm
Here is a pic of the new replacement.
74 Javeloon
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74javeloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 8:36pm
Sean I found a place called Team Grand Wagoneer out of Kenosha.  They sell all kinds of parts for the old grand wagoneers.  They sell alot of the emissions stuff.  They have the exhaust manifold tubes attaching valves rubber hoses and the air pump.  I just recieved the passanger side air tube and valve snd looks great.  I painted them and they are ready to install.  I even ordered the special bolts for the exhaust manifold.  teamgrandwagoneer.com
Andy
74 Javeloon
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 10:31am
They are AMC wheels, called Rally if I am not mistaken, and I took a dab of Simichrome to each one and they came up real nice. When I pull the wheels to get new tires, I'll polish each one and get new decals.

Today I will put Marvel in the cylinders and suck the fuel line clean with my vacuum tool. I cleaned the tank out Saturday and got two gallons of root beer out along with some debris. I plan on putting a clear filter in the supply line to the fuel pump and change out the one before the carb as well. Tomorrow I plane on firing the motor.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic