TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

100 mile bushings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100 mile bushings
    Posted: Jun/17/2020 at 3:51pm
Well, no more rubber strut rod bushings for me, poly it is:(  This is the second set I've gone through in a few hundred miles; both were NOS.  Also, I didn't damage them installing/removing them, that one came apart on it's own which was how I noticed they were bad.  I had hopes for the set pictured as they were still somewhat soft, but alas, 100 miles later and they're gone.  My advice, stay away from NOS.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2020 at 4:16pm
NOS! No way would I drive with nos rubber bushings now these days.

They must be around 30 years old if your lucky.

New rubber bushings will work just fine. If you don't believe me, just ask billd... he replaced his bushings in a full front end rebuild.

I did a special mod to be happy with poly... Poly straight up will be harsh and may damage your strut rod, if your unlucky.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Brendang2000 Brendang2000 wrote:

Well, no more rubber strut rod bushings for me, poly it is:(  This is the second set I've gone through in a few hundred miles; both were NOS.  Also, I didn't damage them installing/removing them, that one came apart on it's own which was how I noticed they were bad.  I had hopes for the set pictured as they were still somewhat soft, but alas, 100 miles later and they're gone.  My advice, stay away from NOS.

NOS AMC parts or aftermarket????
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
Darth Vetter View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Vetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2020 at 7:22pm
Yes the 40+ year old NOS rubber has deteriorated obviously but I recently switched to running the poly bushing in back and the rubber up front on my small car for a bit smoother ride. I had a big car with full poly and it was fine due to the extra mass I think. I had a stash of the old Moog parts which are really good hard durometer rubber and use that on the front side. The AMC design of 70+ suspension mimics the small Fords of the area except the strut rod location puts the AMC design under far more impact stress which is why I went with rubber on the front side to reduce the chance of breaking a strut rod.
Brendang2000 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2020 at 9:24pm
They were aftermarket NOS, TRW if memory serves me. I'd love to stick with rubber, if I could find new but all the usual AMC suppliers are out.  If anyone knows of a manufacturer still making these, let everyone know!
Brendang2000 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2020 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

NOS! No way would I drive with nos rubber bushings now these days.

They must be around 30 years old if your lucky.

New rubber bushings will work just fine. If you don't believe me, just ask billd... he replaced his bushings in a full front end rebuild.

I did a special mod to be happy with poly... Poly straight up will be harsh and may damage your strut rod, if your unlucky.

What mod did you do?  Pictures?  While the harsh ride won't bother me all that much, I'm aware the poly can damage the strut rod, usually when the car is jacked up and suspension unloaded if memory serves me, and I'd like to avoid that.  I have access to a full shop, so if you wouldn't mind showing me what you did I'll give it a try.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2020 at 11:12pm

Well, no more rubber strut rod bushings for me, poly it is:(  This is the second set I've gone through in a few hundred miles; both were NOS. 

NOS rubber is bad rubber. It's never any good. It actually angers me that parts suppliers sell it as replacement parts. Its never any good it's simply too old. It goes bad sitting on the shelf.

I do realize there have been threads on this forum arguing that stored properly rubber can last a long time. I'm sure it's true to some extent. But who's that intimate with the history of parts they buy? I have a hard time believing it lasts 50 years.

Old rubber is bad rubber. I'm pissed off for you! (lol, I had written 'pissed off with you', as in I'm pissed off ALONG WITH you! buth at erm may have not gone well) I've been burned with NOS rubber too.

I think AMC Lives! and others have new-manufacture one-piece bushings. 

Strut bushings are one of those AMC things that take up a lot of discussion time and effort.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2020 at 11:35pm
I used the Prothane poly kit.  A little squeaky but I don't mind.  They work well.  It's a 50 year old car.  I'm starting to squeak a little too, particularly laying on the ground or under the dash for hours. Big smile

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Jun/17/2020 at 11:37pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2020 at 4:08am
Moog K3090 is what you want if you can still find any. I put these on my 85 Eagle and 68 Javelin about 4 years ago. I bought 3 sets at the time and still have 1 spare set. Midas part number SB1000. There is Midas almost everywhere in North America.

1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2020 at 6:12am

They were aftermarket NOS, TRW if memory serves me. I'd love to stick with rubber, if I could find new but all the usual AMC suppliers are out.  If anyone knows of a manufacturer still making these, let everyone know!

Centric 602.56010 is the correct 1-piece bushing in new rubber, and 502.61108 is the correct 2-piece design (but not the k3090 design).
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic