TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ambassador front brake drum question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ambassador front brake drum question
    Posted: May/28/2020 at 2:23pm
Be careful some of the studs are made of unobtainium. I know the 66 classic ones are anyway from what I've read.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2020 at 12:09am
If you absolutely cannot get the miserable !@$(@#$#@ thing off, use a 1/8" drill bit and dig a little hold, 1/8" -- 3/16" deep where the drum face meets the hub. It will nick the drum and leave a tiny divot in the hub, harming neither. This ought to loosen some of the tightness where they meet. Heat it, and spray Kroil or 50/50 ATF and lacquer thinner into the hole, and aroudn the drum::hub interface. Then strike it with a hammer; not beat it into submission (emotionally satisfying, but the metal doesn't like it) but to make it "ring". Sort of drop loosely a 2 lb hammer on it for 15 minutes (hearing protection helps, seriously).

Likewise around the wheel studs.

Also squirt fluid inside, around the edge of the hub inside the drum.

Hammer-ring.

I don't have the tool for removing swages; they exi$t. I tried a small cold chisel, but ultimately I put a holed piece of steel surrounding the stud head (inside) and wailed on the stud with a 6 lb hammer, driving it out, ruining the stud, and installing new studs, not a bad idea anyway.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2020 at 11:20pm
I have broken them loose by heating the drum with a torch, putting the drum on the floor spindle up, putting a 4x4 block of wood on the spindle and hitting it with a big hammer. They don’t give up easily.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2020 at 9:08pm
Check for swaged lug studs.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
amboamx70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amboamx70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2020 at 6:14pm
is it possible to press the front finned drum off the hub on my 70 ambassador?    the hub drum combo makes brake work a pain in the butt and i would like to remove enough mat. from the center hole to be able to slide the drum off and not remove the hub. i put one in my press and tried but nothing was happening so i backed off before something broke.  anyone tried this before?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic