TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Schwalls Schwalls wrote:

There seem to be a lot of good shifters out there.  Just make sure you get the right one for the transmission you have.  If you do some internet research you will find many opinions on what shifter is the best/worst.  I went with the Hurst because it has more of a muscle car appearance.  When researching, there were a lot of good reviews of the pro 5.0.  There are other ones too, but i just didn't like to look or the price of them.

I went that route simply because I knew I was not going to end up with a shifter lever I wanted anyway! So I searched on evilbay until I found a guy buying up unpackaged units from PRO 5.0 and selling them at a discount.  I am still trying ti figure out what shift lever to use.

I want it to look period to go with the console once it is mounted. I used the Mustang lever cause I had a knob for it and it was free!  I might just make my own lever if I can't find one!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Schwalls View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schwalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:13am
Since you have a S10 will you be able to use a console or will you be making your own console?  I am planning to make one for my car, but haven't got to that yet. If you are making one or have made one i would like to see pics of what you have.
Scott
64 American Convertible 360 5sp
http://www.schwallers.com/AMCpage.htm
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:25am
Mine is an AMC T5 tailhousing.
It uses the same shifter base pattern as a 82-92 S10 and Camaro. I think 92 is the cut off?
The s10 base is the better choice as the T5 trans sits level in the S10. In that generation of Camaros the trans is tilted, leading to the shift lever being tilted and angled back.

The AMC T5 tailhousing is  perfect match for the shifter hole in a 60s AMC Ambassador/Classic/Marlin/American console!  The other T5 locations are to far rearward and the S10 is to far forward!

To place the shifter in the proper spot you need an AMC or Chevetter T5.  Finding one is difficult and the trans will end up being non world class and the speedo drive will need to be redone to use the AMC tailhousing on a world class trans.

It is probably easier to build a custom console than to try and work out using an original console!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
Schwalls View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schwalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 6:32pm
I will defiantly be sticking with my plan to build a custom console.  I don't have a a console now and want to build it down from the dash.  It won't be too hard to do if i could get some of my other projects done.  My plan is to build the framework out of steel bar like 3/16 or something then skin it with light gauge sheet metal. 
Scott
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:04pm
Well, I was at a buddies last night and we compared a Ford T5 to an old SR4 he had on the floor. The Ford T5's shifter center is about 2.5" further back than the SR4 and I know the AMC T5 was about an inch or so further rearward than the SR4.

So if it all comes down to being an inch and a half difference, my console WILL more than likely cover everything! (My car uses a Spirit console with the big leather shifter boot.

I think everything'll be OK. Cool
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:08pm
sorry, I looked at the stuff on my bench last night but did not get the measurement!

I was so P'O'd at MTD for consolidating the part number for the engine pulley on my 12 year lawn tractor into something that no longer works right I could not see straight!!!  Can't get the transmission drive belt to fit the new pulley, arg...Have to figure out a way to make it work tonight as the correct pulley is no longer made. Smack
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
JavMD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2009 at 9:37pm
I did the T5 swap on a 79 AMX with a SR4, (SR4 is broke somewhere somehow).

Not an easy swap.   I did NOT cut off the 3 holes part of the rear casting.  As a matter of fact I use the last of the 3 hole and a threaded rod to assist keeping it 'steady'.  The holes in the AMX frame exist, and a long threaded rod from the hardware store and stainless nuts and lock washers work well.  Probably could have installed rubber bushings from shock asborbers to minimize and vibrations but so far so good.

Highly recommend anyone going to do this to study the heck out of it! ,  SR 4 Bearing retainer NOT the same for a T5 'world class' (i bought on ebay used),  had to cut down the retainer shaft cover, had to enlarge the existing flywheel housing for the retainer.  the cross member doesn't match to the T5 and had to use more threaded rods,  in the future will try and use the transmission mount of a mustang.  Had to cut back the floor hump to the brace for the tranny to sit up right.  Worried about the proper angle of the drive shaft to the rear differential,  doesn't seem like enough 'angle'.

Not sure what tranny I'll use when I go to a 401 !
BDR
Schwalls View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schwalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2009 at 8:04am
f anyone is planning this swap 4wd.com has 10% off now by using TF0711 until 7/13.  Here is the link to the T5 front bearing retainer.  If you are doing this swap, don't waste your time taking the ford retainer to a shop to be modified and cut down.  Just order this one.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=0&plID=311&partID=11159
Scott
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 1:39pm
what exact bellhousing are you guys using? the one from my 3speed amc trans is nowhere close to the mustang bolt pattern.....
setting guys out by car lengths....
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 2:07pm
mine is from an 82 spirit if I remember right. You need one from an amc after they started using the sr4 4-speed
360 5-speed orig owner...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic