TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

You'll move the shifter back about 3-4 inches near as I can recall.
I can get you an exact measurement if you need.

I would be most willing to buy your AMC T5 from you if you intend or want to sell it.
Hit me a PM and we can work out details.
I think the SR4 retainer is different, you can move the retainer from the AMC T5 if it is good.
Or buy the new steel retainer from 4wd hardware or whereever it is sold. I believe the new retainer to be the way to go. The stock retainers are aluminum and wear and gall over time. Then the release bearing hangs up and causes issues with clutch action. I plan on buying a new one even though mine is in mint condition right now. I want to have one here before they decide to stop making them. You never know...

Some one said you can use the AMC T5 tail housing & shifter rod on the Ford T5 so the shifter will end up in the stock AMC position. I do not know if this is true or not as I have not done this change.

I am in the parts gathering stage for the Ford T5 in my 70 Javelin that has a T10 in it now. This will be going behind a 360 that has some work done to it.

I have the trany a WCT5 that needs rebuilding. I know it needs some gears and input shaft so thinking of getting the 2.95 gear set as this is the stronger of them all and works best in our cars. Besides the gear set & rebuild kit there are some other bits to make it stronger but adds up to about $900+ in parts. BTW trany was free

I also have a bell but need the arm, ball & spring that fit inside it.

The front bearing retainer from 4wd hardware came today. It is shorter than the ford unit and does fit the bell, best $32.39 I have spent on the car yet. The mount & cross member does not look like it will be a big deal or the clutch ( I want to go with a Center Force clutch assy.)  & pilot bearing. The shifter might be an issue from what I hear and I don’t have any thing to go by.

When I really get into this project I will post pictures

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
71gremmy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71gremmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 8:25am
It is very easy to swap the amc top cover and tail housing to the mustang tranny, I would have done that if I could have found a amc t-5.  Here is a short discripton on how to remove the tail and top cover.
Just drive out the roll pin in the shifter block in the tranny (just drive it down you can get it out after you remove the tail housing) then unbolt the tail housing. After that unbolt the top cover slide it to the pass side and pull up. Install in reverse order. Also a note make sure put the tranny in neutral before dissasembly, and double check the speedo locations on the tail shaft. 

I also have a 84 mustang t-5 in my 71 gremlin with a 360 and still have no problems. I have been running it over two years now.
71 Gremlin X,360,t-5,8 3/4 rear axle
66 Rambler Classic, 232,auto
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 9:12am
I can get a hold of a Pacer tailshaft that was bolted to a mustang 4-speed, anybody know if it would bolt up to a t-5? I think the mustang trans was a 77 or 78 so it would be a mustang II.
360 5-speed orig owner...
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by 71gremmy 71gremmy wrote:

It is very easy to swap the amc top cover and tail housing to the mustang tranny, I would have done that if I could have found a amc t-5.  Here is a short discripton on how to remove the tail and top cover.
Just drive out the roll pin in the shifter block in the tranny (just drive it down you can get it out after you remove the tail housing) then unbolt the tail housing. After that unbolt the top cover slide it to the pass side and pull up. Install in reverse order. Also a note make sure put the tranny in neutral before dissasembly, and double check the speedo locations on the tail shaft. 

Not quite that easy...there are some differences when going Ford to AMC tailhousing.
The speedo does NOT line up with any machined surface on the output shaft of a World Class T5. Not at all. I know it can be done, But it is not a simple 5 minute fix...

I have the AMC T5 in mine now too, I have a rebuildable World Class Cobra Trans all I need is the synchrous and some "soft" parts. But I need to retrofit it to my AMC tail to keep my shifter placement and use a factory console.  Not wanting to tear my current perfectly functioning AMC T5 apart I have been holding off till I have gotten some other things done.

Nosigma has done a speedo retrofit I believe he fitted an S10 tailhusing to his so he could keep his bench seat.

The 4 speed tailhoisings from any year will not work. I have an AMC T4 too. It is so close, but has no lump for the 5th gear setup to ride in Cry
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 1:56pm
thanks, figured that would be too easy....
360 5-speed orig owner...
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 8:15pm
I guess it's not possible to swap in the AMC output shaft when swapping tail housings, is it??

I may have to re-think this then. I can't move the shifter location in my car. I wonder if maybe I can put the guts from a World-Class T5 into an AMC T5 case?
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

I guess it's not possible to swap in the AMC output shaft when swapping tail housings, is it??

I may have to re-think this then. I can't move the shifter location in my car. I wonder if maybe I can put the guts from a World-Class T5 into an AMC T5 case?
You can swap the guts from an 83-84 non world class Mustang T5 into the AMC case and output and do the deed easily.  I started to do this, then found my Cobra trans cheap and changed my mind.

You can't swap world class gears onto the non world class output. There is also a change in the tailhousing on some of the world class trans that adds even more possible problems to the swap.

Adding to the reason I want to find another AMC T5 before I tear into the swap. I know I can pull off the needed changes, I just don't want to tear apart my good current trans.

If anyone has a broken AMC T5 I'd be interested in documenting that actual process and even offer to sell back my GOOD AMC T5 once done. Otherwise I will hope to get to it this winter, or next, or the year after....
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
Schwalls View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schwalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 9:49pm
On my 64 American i also had to cut the hole in the hump back to the support brace.  It is centered in the tunnel tight to the support brace.  4wd hardware does sell a steel bearing retainer for about $40.  Don't waste your time with the one that is on it.  just order this one and be done with it.  Overall the swap for me was very easy.  I had to patch the floor where i had cut for the T10 shifter so changing the location wasn't a problem.  Like other said might be a problem for those with a bench seat.  I also put a Hurst super short throw shifter.  THat took some getting used to but now that i ahve used it for awhile i am happy with it.The trans crossmember is really the only think I had to fabricate.   Info on my swap can be found at http://www.schwallers.com/T5Swap.htm  I also have a parts list of what i used with the prices. 
Scott
Scott
64 American Convertible 360 5sp
http://www.schwallers.com/AMCpage.htm
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 8:01am
For shifters i went with a PRO 5.0 Camaro base as it fits the AMC tailhousing.
I welded up the holes in a stock 2000 or so Mustang shift lever and redrilled to bolt it to the shifter as the Camaro shifter is all wrong, angled etc,
  Love the PRO 5.0, shifts like glass, has a poly pivot ball. very smooth shifting.
It naturally finds third gear just pushing with the ball of your hand.
  Nothing wrong with the Hurst either! just wanted to mention how happy I am with the PRO 5.0.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
Schwalls View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schwalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:01am
There seem to be a lot of good shifters out there.  Just make sure you get the right one for the transmission you have.  If you do some internet research you will find many opinions on what shifter is the best/worst.  I went with the Hurst because it has more of a muscle car appearance.  When researching, there were a lot of good reviews of the pro 5.0.  There are other ones too, but i just didn't like to look or the price of them.
Scott
64 American Convertible 360 5sp
http://www.schwallers.com/AMCpage.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic