TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 Swap
    Posted: May/17/2009 at 10:14pm
Here is a quick run through of a T5 into a S/B AMC. It may differ for B/B cars. But heres what I got. I used a Mustang T5 from an 84' car non world class. It is a weak tranny but I haven't broken it yet. You can use a world class tranny thats good for 330ft-lbs. If you wanted to use a Jeep T5 that will work as well just get one thats not a hydrolic clutch.  For the record the car is a 74 Gremlin that had a T-14 3 speed with a six. It now has a 360. You can use all your same clutch linkage as you old stick. If you are going from auto to stick Pm me. Anyways The bellhousing is from a 79 Spirit and you have to cut out the hole the bearing retainer slides into. I just used a carbite bit and made the hole bigger and took the bearing retainer off the tranny and stopped now and then to see if it was big enough. Another mod i did which you have to do other wise you'll have a world of trouble is to cut the bearing retainer down to 3 7/8" from the bottom of the mounting surface to the throwout bearing shaft. Basicly take the retainer off the tranny place it on a desk measure 3 7/8" from the bottom up and then cut! Next for a clutch i just looked it up for a 77 Cj7 with a three speed T-150 the splines and input shaft are almost identical. The measurements are 10X 1 1/16" splines. This gives you a three finger clutch with 10.5" disc. Now as for installing the tranny into the car you need to make a mod to the tailshaft and the tranny crossmember. For the tranny tailshaft there are three holes on it that Ford uses as mounting holes and dampners. You need to cut these off in order to fit the tranny between the body and the crossmember. As for the crossmember I used a A904 cross. A problem is the tranny mount is 4 inches too short to hit the crossmember. Fix: Take a piece of sheet metal and cut it to the length you need. About 1/4" thick will do it have someone WELD IT if you bolt it up it will flex, bend and break. TRUST ME lol. Also if you wanted to make it really strong weld up to metal straps on each side welded ro the hump on the cross. Use a tranny mount from a 67 cougar with an automatic since the auto trans has the same bolt hole alignment as the T5. In order to cut the right hole in the tunnel attach the trans to the engine and run it all the way up so the shifter housing hits the tunnel take a punch and make a mark at all four corners of the housing. this way when you look from up top you can see where to make your cut. Make 1/4" all the way around the four points so the tranny won't hit the body. I like the Mustang T5 because of the ease to find parts and shifter options. My driveshaft is from a 80 spirit with a T5. I don't know what other drive shafts will work but you can have some one mate a yoke to whatever drive shaft you use.

Please feel free to call me at 941-468-1710 or PM me I can sell, make or help you whatever parts you'll need to make a T5 into your AMC Names Jake AMCyA
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 7:39am
How much was the original shifter hole  "off" from what you had to cut?  I'll be doing this in the fall with my 73 Gremlin so I may have to call!!
360 5-speed orig owner...
16Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 9:54pm
Sorry I took so long i've been working. Umm.... the hole diffrence is pretty large my T5 shifter sits in the middle of my bucket seats. I still have to patch the old hole up if you want a pic i'll send it to ya
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 8:42am
sits in the middle of the bucket seats.....you mean front to back or between the seats?
360 5-speed orig owner...
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 9:21am
when I did this in my spirit years ago I had to cut the tunnel back to the 'hump' brace. I am not sure if that brace is in the same spot on a gremlin, but I would imagine it is close. 
AMO Newsletter Editor
AMCBoz View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCBoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:32pm
I know this really isn't possible to do accurately, but you could you give an approximate price range to do this swap. Mine would be higher as I have an automatic, but some baseline would be great. Thanks!
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 9:29am
Costs run all over the board, it really is a case of "how much do you want to spend?"
The longer you are will ing to take and harder you want to search can save you a pile of money.
You can also throw a couple of grand at it and be done real quick.

I would seriously avoid modifying the  hole in the bellhousing!  That is what centers the trans!
You do not want to mess with that unless it is done on a lathe at a machine shop!
IIRC, 4wdhardware or another jeep online shop sells STEEL bearing retainers in the correct dimensions for less than $40. That is the part to use.

As for shifter placement, if you want to maintain a console you will have troubles with the ford T5 as the shifter ends up centered and to far back in the hump. For use without a console it is fine.
Use of a bench seat will also get you real close and may not work for shorter people!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 4:28pm
Here's a quick rundown of what my T5 swap ran me. I was replacing an existing T10 4 speed.

$1300.00 New T5-Z
$150.00 Clutch kit
$40.00 New yoke
$30.00 Used bellhousing & clutch fork
$30.00 Machine retainer
$20.00 Synthetic ATF for the trans
$16.00 U joint to convert new yoke to 4 speed trans.
$15.00 Tranny mount
$20.00 Speedo gears to correct speedo reading, fit on 4 speed cable.

That's most everything. It could be done cheaper with a used transmission. I love this swap!! Its the best thing I've ever done to a car.  Scott
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 5:23pm
Since there's a topic started, I'll ask my questions here.

I converted my Hornet to a 5-speed, but I used an AMC T5. It was almost a direct plug-and-play job to swap from the SR4 to the T5. All I really had to do was notch my crossmember a bit.

Now I have a T5 from a Mustang 'cuz I want the better 1-2 gear ratios.

Since my car is an AMC T5, will the shifter sit any further back? If so, how much? ( I have a Spirit GT console)

I have a front retainer from an old SR4 that I used for parts. Could I just bolt that onto the Ford T5 instead of cutting the Ford one?
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 5:43pm
You'll move the shifter back about 3-4 inches near as I can recall.
I can get you an exact measurement if you need.

I would be most willing to buy your AMC T5 from you if you intend or want to sell it.
Hit me a PM and we can work out details.
I think the SR4 retainer is different, you can move the retainer from the AMC T5 if it is good.
Or buy the new steel retainer from 4wd hardware or whereever it is sold. I believe the new retainer to be the way to go. The stock retainers are aluminum and wear and gall over time. Then the release bearing hangs up and causes issues with clutch action. I plan on buying a new one even though mine is in mint condition right now. I want to have one here before they decide to stop making them. You never know...
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic