TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

727 adapter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 727 adapter
    Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by kilroy26 kilroy26 wrote:

Well I bought a 75 jeep DJ-5 that has a 232 mated up to a borg warner m11. I want to slowly work towards converting it to 4 wheel drive and I already have a 727/dana 300 combo lying around. So an adapter of some kind would be the cheapest/easiest way of going about it.

Ahh, got it!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

WiSeNhEiMeR View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiSeNhEiMeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 1:08pm

just an  FYI  from my RACING Days 

I have used a 258 cid  I-6  Flywheel 

On my V-8 AMC's  because, I beLIEve they have a NEUTRAL (or a more 'neutral') BALANCE

So ... my best GUESS would be that the Manual / thus the AUTOMATICS would have

The SAME Bolt Pattern ... 

Don't Mind ME,

I'm Just a WiSeNhEiMeR

N.A.M.D.R.A. #398
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 1:04pm
Then it's a right hand starter.
1/3 of the way there. Now to guess the bolt pattern of the trans and what crank.
kilroy26 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kilroy26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

I guess the easier question on an oddball vehicle is which side is the starter on? 
The starter is on the left side of the engine if you are facing it from the front of the vehicle.

As for the postal Jeeps the research I've done into them says they continued to use the borg m11 and m35 until 74 with 75 being the changeover year to the 727. 

My guess would be AM general got handed all the left over stock when AMC made the switch and continued to use them till the stock ran out.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 9:42am
I guess the easier question on an oddball vehicle is which side is the starter on? 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiSeNhEiMeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 8:58am
where to purchase an adapter:

AMC originally made these adapters - NOS (New Old Stock) is always a possibility 
... maybe the KENNEDY's in FLORIDA ?
the best bet is to befriend a machinist with a LATHE or hire it done in a machine shop 

You could always do a GOOGLE SEARCH by the old AMC Part Number listed several POSTS above ... 

AMC  Part Number:     321-6130     

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As far as the 1975 Postal  DJ-5  with a I-6 cylinder AMC (regardless of Cubic Inch)

This crankshaft should already be set up with a FLANGE  
but
You mentioned that "YOUR" 6-cylinder AMC  I-6  was mated to an
OLD  Borg-Warner Automatic transmission ???

I was a USPS Letter Carrier for a few years in the mid-1970's & I would bet my LUNGS that the POST OFFICE did  ... NOT ... use the antique BORG-WARNER Automatic transmission

I beLIEve  that Borg-Warmer stopped making the M-11 & M-12 when AMC / JEEP switched over to the TorqueFlyte transmissions in 1972

So ... if YOU actually DO have a Borg-Warner auto-tranny = my BET would be that someone along the line did an ENGINE / TRANSMISSION swap  into your  1975  DJ-5  

IMHO

Don't Mind ME,

I'm Just a WiSeNhEiMeR

N.A.M.D.R.A. #398
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 8:45am
The adapter shown above is only for the flex plate and torque converter.
You still have an issue of the bell housing and starter on the left. If there was one made it probably wasn't many 50 years ago. The popularity code on that engine had to be " you're kidding me, right?"

kilroy26 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 8:08am
Well I bought a 75 jeep DJ-5 that has a 232 mated up to a borg warner m11. I want to slowly work towards converting it to 4 wheel drive and I already have a 727/dana 300 combo lying around. So an adapter of some kind would be the cheapest/easiest way of going about it.
Bernie70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernie70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 6:58am
Were to buy adapter ?  
Bernie70AMX
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiSeNhEiMeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 6:34am
the FLAT FLANGE Crankshaft ADAPTER will work on ALL ...  AMC Flat Flange CRANKS

ie: 290 / older 304's / 343 / older 360 / older 390 / & OLD six cylinder engines / 199 / 232 / 258 / 

TRANSDAPT used to offer an  / ENGINE to Bellhousing adapter for older AMC  I-6 cylinder engines 
to
NEWER TorqueFlyte   Auto Transmissions  

the BellHousings on ALL  AMC  V-8's will fit the TorqueFlyte & 'GM' Turbo type Auto-Transmissions 

The  AMC  I-6  bellhousings were  before  <1972  &  >after 1972

Don't Mind ME,

I'm Just a WiSeNhEiMeR

N.A.M.D.R.A. #398
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic