TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 AMC 390 oil smoke from RH bank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 3:55pm
Sympathetic to your dilemma, hopefully something not too involved.
A long shot, hope folks here aren't tired of hearing this...

While the intake is off the motor, screw all the intake bolts into the heads by hand until they bottom out and measure the distance beneath the heads. Also confirm the bolts are all the same length. Measure the intake flange thickness, washers if any, etc. Do the math, confirm actual clamping action is achieved by the manifold mounting bolts before they bottom out in all the blind tapped holes...

And just to point it out, anytime it is off the motor, always make sure the Intake Manifold does have in place the Sheet Metal PCV Baffle attached to the bottom of the Intake manifold with original 'Drive Screws' or other. There were 2 types, flat & domed, domed was later and on EGR type intakes.

Agree that stock AMC pistons were prone to be easily detonation damaged.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Mar/24/2020 at 4:02pm
pinkta View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 5:36pm
Sadly, I have no rebuild information. The lady said he had a box of papers and i would get it if she found it. I never. 

Anyway, I did see a .020 on one of the pistons when i used the camera. My head is telling he that I have broken ring lands on #6 cylinder and it is upsetting the engine with excess blowby, but I really have no idea of how accurate that may be. Is there a way to test something like that? 
pinkta View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 5:38pm
When I had the intake off there was a flat piece of metal(sort of fence like) that covered the area of the PCV on the inside of the intake. Should have taken a photo. 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 5:46pm
Ive had a broken ring land and it could easily be heard. Like a rattling rocker at part throttle.
pinkta View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 5:52pm
There is a couple of weird things at idle. I agree there is a sort of rapid light rattle if you are really listening. Also the engine seems to shudder at idle, very quick like and i cannot adjust it out with timing or carb adjustments. 

Make any sense? 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 6:04pm
With no papers in hand, no telling if a small cam update was done during a rebuild causing the small "shudder"  Unless it is opened up.
ffltstn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 6:30pm
Years ago I have a bad oil smoke issue from my 401. I did not run a compression test, but the engine would run and rev fine.  It looked good in all cylinders till I took out the #8 piston. It came out in pieces.
No issues with the bore, no sign of a problem.  The fact that two cylinders have oily plugs makes me think that's not you issue, but anything is possible.

Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Sympathetic to your dilemma, hopefully something not too involved.
A long shot, hope folks here aren't tired of hearing this...

While the intake is off the motor, screw all the intake bolts into the heads by hand until they bottom out and measure the distance beneath the heads. Also confirm the bolts are all the same length. Measure the intake flange thickness, washers if any, etc. Do the math, confirm actual clamping action is achieved by the manifold mounting bolts before they bottom out in all the blind tapped holes...

And just to point it out, anytime it is off the motor, always make sure the Intake Manifold does have in place the Sheet Metal PCV Baffle attached to the bottom of the Intake manifold with original 'Drive Screws' or other. There were 2 types, flat & domed, domed was later and on EGR type intakes.

Agree that stock AMC pistons were prone to be easily detonation damaged.

Is it okay to use a domed baffle on a non EGR intake? I assume that the flat one won't clear the bottom of an EGR intake. Is that correct?
pinkta View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 7:24pm
On the matter of a cam issue and the small shudder at idle. The car came with a brand new cam and lifters. No idea why? Could this be someone(now deceased) knew what was going on? can a cam issue cause this smoking on one side? 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 7:52pm
The cam will not cause oil into a cylinder. As for the baffle, either flat or dome will be fine as long as you use one on the stock manifold. It was common practice to have steel mesh in the baffle to slow flow and allow oil a path to collect to the bottom of the baffle. That may have even been factory.
Some have put scotch brite pads in here - lots of debate on that one (I would not)!

Take Ken's and Phat's advisement's first and if no problem is found, time to pull the right head to have a good look.
Another possibility that I would not wish on anyone, is that the person that did the rebuild did not use the AMC torque sequence. This can cause the block to crack from the intake side of the block  to the cylinder - especially if it has been over bored. When taking the head bolts out, if one on the intake side of #6 is wet with oil, mag flux the cylinder. 

Edited by Trader - Mar/24/2020 at 7:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic