TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX AM radio question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 AMX AM radio question
    Posted: Mar/21/2020 at 7:32pm
The AM radio that I obtained for my 68 AMX is in nice shape but I want to test it before installing it.The radio has 4 wires coming out of it , an orange, a black a green and a brown. Unfortunately there are no terminals on on the wires so I can't really determine what part of OE harness they connect to. Can anyone tell me what each wire does and what type of connector should be on each one

Thanks
Joe
BBO390 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2020 at 8:02pm
Just checked my 68 TSM and no luck finding answers.  But two years ago I installed one for my brother.  If my memory is correct, the orange wire is for lighting, the black is ground, the brown is power and the green is for the speaker.  Hope this helps. Dave
69 BBO AMX 390 auto 1968 Rogue V8 68 AMX 343 AT 52A Project
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 7:45am
Thanks.. I have the TSM and could not find anything either.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 9:39am
black and green will be the speaker wires.
Radio is grounded through the mounting backet!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 11:06am
You can make the ground connection to any screw on the radio case. You'll need an antenna and a speaker of course to be able to test it. Orange is not necessary to test the radio as it simply goes to the dial light bulb.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 4:54pm
Just to summarize so it is clear:
Brown is 12V power
Green and black are the speaker connections
Orange is the dial back light
The metal case of the radio is ground return
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 5:17pm
Correct!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 5:17pm
Thanks again guys.. I will test it this week while self distancing
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 9:35am
I tested the radio and it works fine. Now I have to install it.I can see how it fits into the radio pod and I can locate the wire connections. There is a T shaped bracket that I believe attaches to the angled mount on the bottom of the radio but where does the other end attach. Second question there is a 1/4" stud that sticks up from the center of the transmission hump is this stud used as part of the radio installation..Sorry for all the questions but I removed all of this before I put the car into storage in the eighties before digital cameras. Thirty years later I am trying to remember how things went together. Glad this site is here

Joe
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 10:37am
The T shaped bracket ( painted black ) attaches to the bottom of the radio pod below the ash tray. The end of the the T fits over the stud on the transmission hump. A serrated nut secures the bracket/brace to the stud.
There should be a little metal bracket on the bottom of the radio that braces the bottom of the radio to the metal shielding around the ash tray. A sheet metal screw goes up through that shielding and secures the radio to the ash tray assembly. That T brace keeps everything tight and secures the radio pod from vibrating.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic