TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX AM radio question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 AMX AM radio question
    Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 7:52pm
Excellent!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 5:58pm
Installed the Radio in the pod today.Only 1 nut and 1 washer per side was needed..Thanks to everyone for the help.

Joe
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 4:39pm
Unsure, but I think 2 nuts are for the instance where the depth of the mounting needs to be adjusted,
1 nut would end up behind the plastic and act as a stop to set installed depth...
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 4:20pm
No....I kind of thought it would only be a nut and washer on each side.When I tried to put 2 of each on the radio there did not look as if there would be enough thread left to sandwich the pod and the faceplate but I just wanted to be sure.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 1:07pm
Joe,

I don't really remember. I "think" that there is only a single thin washer and shaft nut on each side. The washer and nut secure the plastic faceplate that says American Motors and holds the radio secure to the pod. Don't over-tighten these, just snug will do. Don;t want to crack that faceplate !

You didn't remove the washers and nuts that secure the threaded shafts to the radio case did you ?

Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 11:47am
Thanks George.. I think I got it.Hopefully just one more question.There are thin nuts and washers that are used to mount the radio to the front of the pod and the faceplate.I have 4 each of them.Do you use all 4 and this sandwiches the pod and faceplate? Or do you use just 2 one for each side tightening them from the face plate
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 10:42am
The antenna trimmer adjustment is the little screw like post adjacent to the antenna jack on the radio. Raise the antenna to a normal height and select a radio station near the upper end of the dial. Turn this "trimmer screw" back and forth to maximize the radio station volume. This trimmer adjustment matches the electrical characteristics of the radio's tuning circuit to the electrical characteristics of the antenna. The trimmer only affects AM reception and has no effect on the FM reception of the am/fm radios.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 10:38am
Yes, that bracket on a 68-9, bolts to the transmission tunnel!
Glad it's working! Good luck!
And, don't forget to adjust the antenna trim when you have it all hooked up!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 10:37am
The T shaped bracket ( painted black ) attaches to the bottom of the radio pod below the ash tray. The end of the the T fits over the stud on the transmission hump. A serrated nut secures the bracket/brace to the stud.
There should be a little metal bracket on the bottom of the radio that braces the bottom of the radio to the metal shielding around the ash tray. A sheet metal screw goes up through that shielding and secures the radio to the ash tray assembly. That T brace keeps everything tight and secures the radio pod from vibrating.
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 9:35am
I tested the radio and it works fine. Now I have to install it.I can see how it fits into the radio pod and I can locate the wire connections. There is a T shaped bracket that I believe attaches to the angled mount on the bottom of the radio but where does the other end attach. Second question there is a 1/4" stud that sticks up from the center of the transmission hump is this stud used as part of the radio installation..Sorry for all the questions but I removed all of this before I put the car into storage in the eighties before digital cameras. Thirty years later I am trying to remember how things went together. Glad this site is here

Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic