TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX combination valve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX combination valve
    Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 2:46pm
Who supplied the brake valve on the firewall?Would like to rebuild it while the car is apart. Looking on the muscle car research site and they list a few AMC applications but I'm not sure what I have for sure.
Bill Frazer
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 2:57pm
See this post, including an offer to rebuild them:

You're actually dealing with a Distribution block/Brake pressure differential switch. The 'combination valve', term applies better to the later AMC's which combined a Pressure differential switch and a Proportioning valve and the distribution block all in one!

If you do Advanced search, you'll likely find the answers you need.

Good luck!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 6:00pm
I ordered the rebuild kit for the distribution block and rear propotioning valve from these guys and was happy with the results

I have installed the distribution block kit and it seems to work well on a 68 AMX.  It doesnt include the aluminum pistons and I had to rob one of the pistons from a second valve as one was too corroded.  Not too difficult to rebuild, just make sure you dont twist the o-rings as you put it together.  Follow the instructions to remove the switch plunger when ever you bleed the brakes or the plastic plunger will get broken (my bet is that the brake light circuit is faulty on most cars as it was broken on both valves i took apart).

I havent gotten around to the proportioning valve (for front disc - mounted near the rear axle).
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 9:34am
This link will get you to the site that the link in the above post won't

madams, there's one too many https:// in your link, when you use the link icon highlight the https:// in the window and delete it first, then paste the link in.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 4:09pm
First of all, I did my due diligence search and arrived at the (what I believe) correct name: the brake combination valve. '74 AMX, disc front brakes, drum rear.
Next, how do you remove the innards of #1? The nut is loose and I can see a small gap. Saw one YouTube video and the guy said to soak it (mine's been there for a day) and he used a punch and a hammer at location #2. At around $120-$150, I don't relish busting my valve. I did order one of the rebuild kits from MCR. Any help appreciated. 

1974 Mellow Yellow N-code AMX (restoring)- "Steve"
2016 Chevy Colorado (RIPP supercharged V6)
1973 Corvette
1974 Trans AM Red P-code AMX
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 6:21pm
Mine came apart easily but if its stuck you can try compressed air. Works well on calipers and wheel cylinders. Cover the open end with a rag to catch the piston. Dont want to turn it into a projectile.
Bill Frazer
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 6:33pm
Thanks, I’ll give it a go. 
1973 Corvette
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2020 at 11:15pm
OK, so which end do I apply the air pressure: #1 or #2? This thing is stuck!
1973 Corvette
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 11:19am
Might have to go both ways. I've used the same idea to move hydraulic pistons, wheel cylinders,  and calipers.

When it comes loose it's basically a projectile so have a rag or block of wood there. Protect your eyes andhands.

Bill Frazer
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 12:34pm
Bill F,

Thanks for the info. I made a bit of progress but I think I'm turning in the towel. Don't want to damage the innards any more than what I have so far. The brass piece is stuck in the metering valve side so I cant remove any if its guts and I cant get the pressure differential switch piston out. Big help was the musclecarresearch.com article. I saw a post by TX390AMX about rebuilding these. I'll send him a PM and see if mine's a candidate. 

Jim

1973 Corvette
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic