TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

To Moog or not to Moog. That is the question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 8:43am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

... chinese made, that's not the problem, Q.C. is...
Certainly good quality parts can be made in China, or anywhere for that matter, if the manufacturer cares enough. Quality costs money and consumers, in general, buy by price first, quality second. Manufactures are responding in kind by supplying very cheap products that are crap.

Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

...3 year warranty...Lifetime warranty...
Don't conflate warranty and quality. Warranty is insurance, not a quality indicator.

I once had a NAPA counterman explain the difference between the one year warranty part and the lifetime warranty part. In fact, it was the exact same part (TRW), but the price was slightly higher to cover the extra take back on the lifetime part.

A warranty doesn't mean they don't think it will fail during the stated period, it means the actuaries have budgeted for a calculated number of failures and tacked that cost onto the price of the part. If you buy a part and it doesn't fail, you have lost money because you paid for someone else to be compensated for their part failure. In this respect, the above mentioned  three year warranty part is a better deal... if it doesn't fail.

Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

Moog is definitely not the quality it was 30 years ago...
I think that is true of pretty much every brand
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 9:47am
FWIW I would keep using any of the original tie rod ends and ball joints if they're still tight. Throwing them out for new is a waste of money. Most of the new stuff is less quality than the original stuff is. I've had good luck with Mevotech stuff in several vehicles after having Moog stuff fail. Moog is not the brand it once was. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 10:31am
Nothing wrong with keeping an old part as long as it's good. With steering parts, look for more than play. Grabbing it with your hands isn't exhibiting the same forces as driving. Take it loose and check for articulation. Any noticeable tight or loose spots?
Ive had good luck with Mevotech across 4 different vehicles. From tie rods to steering boxes.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 10:40am
Moog does not have the quality.  Years ago they did.  Napa used to be good years ago as well. I dont like too many brands anymore because 90% have gone down in quality 
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 2:00pm
Thanks for all the comments.  FYI Moog parts from Rockauto ala carte are $160 -ball joints, tie rods and sleeves and an idler arm bushing.  I havent disassembled the front end yet, just observed that all the bushings and boots are toast and are probable (maybe)original to the car.  So I just started planning what would it take to just redo it all.  I'll check the rod ends and see how they are.

Thanks for the tip on poly bushings for the forward struts.  I have a Prothane kit that came with the car with everything in it, front and rear, but I'll avoid the strut bushings if they cause too much stress or not enough movement.
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 11:43pm

I just had an experience with one of the metal sleeves that goes inside the strut rod bushings being too long. It meant that there was still slop in the bushing when it was tightened down to the factory torque spec.  It would occasionally clunk when backing out of my driveway too.  I drove the car that way for over a year and my alignment guy only found it when he couldn't get enough caster dialed in on one side.  The answer was simply to cut the sleeve down. Not sure all this time later what brand it was, if it came that way from the bushing manufacturer or someone just grabbed the wrong sleeve during installation.  

Just make sure both halves of your strut rod bushings are fully compressed when you're done. One half of mine (two piece bushing) you could spin by hand, but just viewing it from the outside it looked to be properly compressed. Up on the rack, viewing from the inside, it was obvious that it wasn't.

Maybe someone here can tell us what the correct length of those sleeves should be.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 4:25pm
I'm personally not a fan of the squeaky urethane stuff, but I was surprised after perusing the web that there are no polygraphite bushings, the PG bushings came on the screen in the 90's, any reason you guys can think of that I can't  find any for the 71 jav? 
javguy
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 4:36pm
I think the poly kit has the correct length steel sleeve for fitting poly bushings. I would not use the factory style steel sleeve. I modded my poly bushings, and used thick teflon washers to remove squeeks, while running dry. Zero maintenance. I still have a few washers, if your interested. Let me know, and I sort out my extras.. you'll need one per Poly bush. Many use just the front poly bush with rear being rubber.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 4:49pm
How many auto part stores did I buy lifetime warranty parts from over the years then they go broke and close.No more of that for me.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 10:37pm
Thumbs Up AMXRWB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic