TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Super T10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2020 at 2:32pm
The problem with the late 60's and early 70's T10 transmissions is that they could be rebuilt with early 60's parts. They are sloppier and weaker.
You would be very hard pressed chewing up a T10 built with 9310 nickel gears and associated parts of the late 60's - early 70's AMC.
On the GM Super T10 they marked the gears with a spot drill mark. No such luck on the AMC.
If your going to put the T10 behind the 390, get one that you know has not been touched, get one from a trusted re-builder that states they have put in the high nickel alloy gears and associated "better" parts or get it rebuilt with the better parts right from the get go.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2020 at 12:57pm
Back in 74 I made my own T10-W. I used a 20 tooth main drive gear from a AMC T10-T. Bought a T-10 W cluster gear. I got 2nd & 3rd. from a GM. T-10 S. Used it my drag car, never had a problem .  
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
5150Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2020 at 4:35pm
I have a 69 Javelin 390.  T-10P-1B    After engine build I had at Shop for fine tuning and dual carb adjustment.  They had on dyno, hit critical speed, and blew up drive shaft which took out tail housing of trans, broke the dog ear off from of trans where it bolts to Bell Housing and on opposite side broke bell housing where bolts screws in.  Unknown if the output shaft or differential is damaged.  I read this post.  Bottom line, what is best?  Stay with the T10, if I can find one and I will post on forum for one, or do I go with the T-5.  Will a T-5 bolt in without modification?  I assume will need a new shifter, as the hertz won't work. Will shifter on T-5 align with current opening for the hertz shifter?  Thanks for the input.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2020 at 6:59pm
A t-5 will only work if you want to drive around and not beat on it. They are not that strong. There are aftermarket transmission manufactures that can build you a 5 speed that will work, expect to pay for it.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic