TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What Carburetor for Factory 4-bbl?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 5:39am
What will fit is the question....Square Bore Holley like a O-1850 from the old days, Edelbrock AFB/Performer for a Holley Flange or a Motorcraft 4300.....
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
javelinjason View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinjason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 8:05am
Thanks for all the input. I'm not too experienced with carburetors, and they can be intimidating to me. I was born into the fuel injection age. The plan was to rebuild the stock Motorcraft 4300, but if I decided to go aftermarket, I wasn't sure what would bolt on the factory manifold.

I've seen various spacers and adapters available. I forget what the factory insulator thickness is now... it's been a few weeks since I took it off and measured it. I know TransDapt makes spacers, and I think that's the route I want to go (versus the stock insulator). 

The end goal here is to rebuild or improve the carburetor while keeping the factory cowl induction air cleaner. Maybe one day I'll switch it over to the Holley fuel injection.... but that will be a long way off. 

-1972 Javelin SST
-1973 Javelin
-1973 Javelin AMX PC
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 8:46am
You shouldn't need an adapter.
Good carb ( at least to me) for a driver would either be an Edelbrock or a Summit.  More of a turn key than a Holley.
About how thick of a gasket/spacer are you looking for? Paper thin or one of the thick factory gasket isolators with grommets on 4 corners?
I can understand being intimidated with a carb in th OBD era. Crack a book, there's plenty.

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 9:23am
Originally posted by javelinjason javelinjason wrote:

Thanks for all the input. I'm not too experienced with carburetors, and they can be intimidating to me. I was born into the fuel injection age. The plan was to rebuild the stock Motorcraft 4300, but if I decided to go aftermarket, I wasn't sure what would bolt on the factory manifold.

I've seen various spacers and adapters available. I forget what the factory insulator thickness is now... it's been a few weeks since I took it off and measured it. I know TransDapt makes spacers, and I think that's the route I want to go (versus the stock insulator). 

The end goal here is to rebuild or improve the carburetor while keeping the factory cowl induction air cleaner. Maybe one day I'll switch it over to the Holley fuel injection.... but that will be a long way off. 

The 600 cfm Summit is a good choice. I have had them on both of my 360 engines for close to 10 years, trouble free.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinjason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 11:10am
I'll look into the Summit brand. Thanks! 

As for the spacer, I understand and appreciate the intention of the factory insulator. It was there to prevent fuel boiling in the bowls. I'd go with the stock height, just in the phenolic material. TransDapt 2446 or similar may do the trick.

-1972 Javelin SST
-1973 Javelin
-1973 Javelin AMX PC
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by javelinjason javelinjason wrote:

I'll look into the Summit brand. Thanks! 

As for the spacer, I understand and appreciate the intention of the factory insulator. It was there to prevent fuel boiling in the bowls. I'd go with the stock height, just in the phenolic material. TransDapt 2446 or similar may do the trick.

I have Summits on both my cars with no factory spacer, just the Summit supplied thick gasket. No problems with fuel boiling. The factory spacer has a vacuum nipple in front for the distributor, and a PCV connection in the back.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 11:19am
When you get the spacer, and I have not used that one, just ensure it is the proper ID's and align with the bores of the carburetor. Nothing like having one put on and the secondaries hang after going WOT.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinjason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 11:21am
They make an open square model too, no butterfly holes. I wasn't sure if that would cause turbulence issues or not though. ???
-1972 Javelin SST
-1973 Javelin
-1973 Javelin AMX PC
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 11:28am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinjason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 12:39pm
Thanks again for all the input. We decided to get a Summit 500 CFM M08500VS and a 1/2" Summit brand phenolic spacer. It's a stock engine, so I feel this will be comparable to the Motorcraft 4300 which flows 431 CFM. This will be fun! 
-1972 Javelin SST
-1973 Javelin
-1973 Javelin AMX PC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic