TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear Seal - 304

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Seal - 304
    Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 11:22am
Anyone have a suggestion for purchasing a fresh rear main seal for a 304?  Have purchased seals in the past that must have been sitting on a shelf for years & become hard.
Thanks,
Bob
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 2:31pm
The rear seal for a 304 is the same for any 70 and newer V8. I'm not sure about the 290. 343 and 68/69 390, but guess they are the same as well.

Rock Auto list the seal as National 5112S. It's a two part seal that several manufacturers used, including Ford and the engine in the Ford GT40 and 427 Cobra.

I have several in my inventory and never noticed them as being hard and brittle.

I'm guessing as well that National still makes them regularly.

Good luck

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 11:09pm
We have had more than a few that are old and hard.  They have caused some issues that were only remedied by replacing them with fresh, newly made seals.  A lot of the Fel-Pro kits were coming with old, hard seals with the AMC part number on the seal face.  We got these from several suppliers.  When we order the Fel-Pro seals individually to replace the hard ones in the sets, they say "Made in Germany" on them.  The German ones appear to be new and much softer.  This is not your imagination, Many new in set seals are old and hard.  Just get the individual seals to replace the ones in the kits.  If they are German, you are good to go.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 8:38am
Well that just sucks. Fel Pro should correct that problem.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 8:40am
I think they did. But there are still some older ones in the supply stream.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 8:54am
Well then that does explain what I've experienced and what you have experienced.

I must have gotten lucky and got a newer set. I can't imagine me getting that lucky, maybe things are looking up. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic