TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Advice on cam choice - is it too big - AMC 401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on cam choice - is it too big - AMC 401
    Posted: Apr/27/2020 at 10:00am
I'm a believer that the more advance the better.  In general a bigger cam likes more advance to improve the low end.  I would go back to the 20 and 35 if it worked well there before.  

71amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2020 at 7:54am
Thanks Halvard.  Glad I was able to help and it all worked out for you in time to enjoy it this weekend.  I never get info from this forum so I didn't know it was still active.   
Alfano Performance
4849-76 st
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
71amx@sbcglobal.net
Halvard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halvard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2020 at 7:15am
Of course the weather turned after it was finished. 
Drove the Jeep home Saturday night. 1.5 hours in just above freesing temperatures. That is not enough to get the engine up to a temperature where the EFI self learning kicks in. 

It feels like it is running a bit rich at the moment, and hopefully that will get tuned in by itself. 
The cam swap has not been the big change I was hoping for, but hopefully some tuning will get it there. 

I set the timing to 17 initial. Total is 32. Vacuum on top of that (ported). 
If I remember correctly I had it on 20 and 35 before the cam change. 
Does that sound OK for this build? 

Edited by Halvard - Apr/27/2020 at 7:22am
Halvard
Jeep CJ-7 AMC401 SM465
Halvard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Halvard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2020 at 7:08am
And it is finally done. 

After the mess with the first try at making my own anti walk setup for the cam, I called Nick Alfano at Alfono Performance. Great guy and excellent service! Talked general AMC stuff for an hour and ordered his anti walk kit, new cam gears and he ordered the correct push rods for me so I could have it all shipped as one package to Norway and save some money. He followed up several times to make sure everything was correct and that I got the parts as fast as possible. 

Perfect clearences on the parts we installed, and have never seen the distrubutor slip in as easealy as it did this time. 

Halvard
Jeep CJ-7 AMC401 SM465
Halvard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halvard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2020 at 6:16am
So things are finally moving along, but we hit a snag halfway into the install. 
I decided to go for the Chevy anti walk plate solution. Unfortunately I had not done enough research, and it turned out we were a bit hasty when we machined the old sprocket. We just took of what the new plate added, not leaving the center area on the sprocket that would slide into plate. 

I am now looking at buying the kit from Alfano Performance. 
Any tips are welocme. 

Also turns out Crane sold me push rods that are too short, so have to get a new set of those as well. 
Looking to get some solid Brian Tooley ones. Looking at what appears to be in stock at Summit, hoping I'll get it to Norway before the weekend. 

Unfortunately not able to post pictures yet. 
Links below: 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asj2vFAlrDV2rBpHVKjAE4t1fMm4?e=nTghGI 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asj2vFAlrDV2rBmMzggEmgzChbuJ?e=Xh1fg0 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asj2vFAlrDV2rA9wZLEX-tXLw-dg?e=u40OZK 

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 7:48pm
Comps off the shelf are usually Chevy lobes. They also have a list of .904 specific lobes that you can custom grind from.
Jims69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jims69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 7:40pm
I’m not going recommend any lift or duration but I will say greyhounds AMX finally said what I was gonna say, you need a cam that takes advantage of the .904 lifter diameter. Comp cams are Chevy grinds and although they may run good something that is ground to take advantage of the .904 will run better. I had a Ultradyne custom ground for my 390 which is Bullet cams. That is the way to go. Give up a half hour of your time to be with tech on the phone and have your info in front of you and you will get a good cam recommended to you.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 8:33pm
I like it too - it's very very close to being a roller version of the Voodoo 702. And Crane makes good stuff.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 10:33pm
Good Choice

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Halvard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halvard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2020 at 1:38pm
Things got a bit delayed, but finally ordered the Crane HR216 today!

Hopefully it and springtime will arrive shortly... 

Cranes advise matched well with the local machine shop, so went for the small one. 

Edited by Halvard - Apr/16/2020 at 12:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic