TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ford T5 shifter location in a Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford T5 shifter location in a Spirit
    Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 10:36am
I'm going to be using a Modern Driveline T5 in my Spirit behind a 258. The normal shifter position is the standard Ford location, but there are options to move it as far forward as 8" in front of that. Does anyone have a solid measurment of how much further back the Ford location is from the stock AMC location? Or if you happen to have an AMC T5/T4/SR4 out of a car, can you measure the setback of the shifter from the front of the main housing? I think with just that measurement i should be able to figure put what setup would get me closest to a factory location. I'd like to still be able to use my console.
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 11:19am
The stock Ford location is quite a bit further back
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 6:24pm
you probably want the s10 t-5. shifter is about 8" forward of the ford/camaro/etc units. 
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 7:09pm

If I recall correctly, this was a car with a Mustang T5. 

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 7:10pm

For comparison, here is my car with an AMC T5. Note the shifter is well ahead of the front of the seats.

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 7:16pm
Worst case scenario - I don't know what your budget is - contact Scobee Transmissions in Lafayette, Indiana.  I once asked him about putting Mustang T5 guts in my AMC T5 case for the reasons of keeping my mechanical speedo drive and my shifter in the same position.

He told me that's a silly idea and why not just have him build a transmission to the specifications I needed?  This was about 2 years ago and he quoted me between $700 - $1000 depending on which gearset and overdrive ratio I'd choose. (He can do custom overdrive ratios depending on gearset selected)

He specializes in T5's and can pretty much do whatever you need.  Once my Gremlin project is done, I'm going to have him do me a trans for my Yellow Hornet.

765-366-9065
               scobeebuilt@yahoo.com
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 7:18pm
Sorry for posting so many times. I've got an SR4 out in the garage AND a Ford T5.  If you can wait until tomorrow, I can drag them out and get some measurements.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 8:09pm
Not a direct answer, but I did a bunch of photos and measurements for an MDL T5z (into my '61 American). There's a lot of photos, at least, maybe measurements for you. Comparison ov T14 to T5 from which you can probably gauge shifter position.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

Sorry for posting so many times. I've got an SR4 out in the garage AND a Ford T5.  If you can wait until tomorrow, I can drag them out and get some measurements.

If you can, that would be awesome! I think that would be exactly the info I need.
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2020 at 7:10pm
I run ford t5 in all my spirit amxs.. You have to cut the shifter hole back to the crossmember.. it moves the shifter back a few inches vs the sr4 location. I take the console and move it back enough. It looks good but console is slid back some
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic