TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"New Pertronix Ignitor III Done"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 12:38am
Thanks for all the effort TorqueyAMX.  Sure you've heard the old saying

" 95% of Carburetor problems are Ignition problems " Cool
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 12:49am
Amen to that.  My worst "carb bog" ever was actually caused by a worn set of points!
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 6:46am
And my hesitation was solved with 2-3 more degrees of initial advance............ not that the carb doens't need work, it does. But it is no longer embarrassing from a stop light.
TOO FEW folks know how to use and read a scope. Anyone with these cars should get familiar with that pattern and WHAT it means.
You can even diagnose fuel problems if you get really good with a scope.
Scope and vacuum gauge will tell you most anything you need to know about an engine and its condition.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 8:13am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

TOO FEW folks know how to use and read a scope. Anyone with these cars should get familiar with that pattern and WHAT it means.
You can even diagnose fuel problems if you get really good with a scope.

Like this?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 8:40am
Dude - TOO much time on your hands! LOL
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 8:49am
It's been a learning process with the new unit. Pertronix has alway been good to me over the years with new products showing up at the door. When the new module showed up, must have gone through a half a tank of gas testing with different components and different voltage levels. It was also nice for them to redesign the unit itself so it would work with AMC distributors. I wanted to know exactly how it would work at different levels so folks could make the right choice based on their application and what they want their car to do. If they make the right choice, chances are they will never be dissappointed in the product and they'll still have hair on their head from not pulling it out.

Yesterday Pertronix went over to Speedomotive to do a little testing on a 500 plus HP Chevy small block. They ran baseline pulls on the engine with an MSD Pro Billet Distributor with an HVC Coil and a 7 Series ignition box. They then switched to their Ignitor III Billet Distributor and Flamethrower III coil and NO box and picked up nearly 10 HP. Not something you'd notice but it's there. He also toyed around with the voltage adding some resistors to see the effect and the numbers started dropping way off. Gots to have the juice to cut it loose!

Edited by TorqueyAMX - May/05/2009 at 8:58am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:15am
Do we have a pricepoint yet?
It's something I'd seriously consider.......
I'd even post scope patterns LOL - so ron can pick on me again.......
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:23am
So are these little gems now available for purchase?
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:31am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Do we have a pricepoint yet?
It's something I'd seriously consider.......
I'd even post scope patterns LOL - so ron can pick on me again.......

Bill,

I'll get a price today and post it. I just don't know. My cost has been the gas to take my distributor out to Pertronix and the gas to test it! "Ouch"!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:36am
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

So are these little gems now available for purchase?

Yes Dan they are available now. I would suggest trying to order it straight from Pertronix at this point. The unit part no. 71181 was JUST redesigned to work with both AMC and GM Delco distributors. Only about 30 units went out into the market with the previous design. The key in the correct unit is the adaptor plate that is shown.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic