TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"New Pertronix Ignitor III Done"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 12:59pm
See Bill, Aren't you glad you took Mr. Wizard's Class!LOL Think he knows how to lay out historically correct '69 Trans Am Stripes?Hammer Head

Edited by TorqueyAMX - May/03/2009 at 3:29pm
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 3:49pm
They always leave some important word out of advertising and that word is  potential.
It has the potential to hit the advertised voltage but probably never will. Several issues dictate this. Few of them being plug gap, rotor to cap gap, cylinder pressure of the engine at the time of ignition.
Would there be a difference in performance between a 50k volt and 75k volt on a stock engine? Not likely.
Same idea that if you upgraded your 35 amp Motorola alternator to a 200 amp unit and the only option you have in your car is the Motorola transistor radio. It's not going to release any more amperage than the original since power demand never changed..
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 5:12pm
It's all kind of based on your equipment and your needs. It's like an 850 carb without a cam. Like a big cam without headwork. Like Headers with a single exhaust. Like 800 watt amps powering a cassette player with Wal Mart "Loss Leader" speakers! Choose wisely specifically for your needs. Sometimes overkill can be a dissappointment.

Based on testing, I would say I could see improvement with the Ignitor III with the full 12 volts, higher compression, plug gap change, plug wire change, and other parameters to maximize what is installed. It's why Drag Racers do the things that they do!

Edited by TorqueyAMX - May/03/2009 at 10:51pm
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 10:52pm
But the bottom line is having too much charge from the coil is not a bad thing whereas having too little charge is not a good thing.  So if you have too much who cares.  It sure beats not having enough.

Edited by amx39068 - May/03/2009 at 10:53pm
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 6:59am
But the folks with street or street/strip engines worry about not producing 150,000,000,000 volts and how their car won't start well enough and all that CRAP.
I'm trying to get some FACTS out there, the hi-perf folks have everyone running scared with marketing hype for high-performance ignition junk, I'm trying to prove and explain why most folks don't need a $300 ignition system, it simply is NOT needed.
And as far as too much - fine, but why? If their engine does require so much spark, then they have other SERIOUS problems. I'd rather not mix hype and mis-information with plain fact.
That's the reason for telling folks like it is.
Yeah, Torquey - the drag racers are pulling much higher RPM - very hard to saturate a coil at those speeds.
Now you wanna talk stereo equipment - we can do that, too! I used to compete in the Alpine car audio contests.............. never did better than 2nd, mostly 3rd place, but not bad on my farmer income level of, well, annual losses! LOL. I was competing with some high-dollar stuff.
It's amazing what you end up hearing from your favorite bands when your system has the power to properly and faithfully reproduce it. Too much speaker and you under-drive them. Too little speaker, too much amp, you over-drive them, distortion up the wazoo. There's a system that needs to be balanced.

Anyway, I'd love to see one of those new ignition systems first-hand - that's probably the direction I'll eventually go, when I get the Eagle parts paid for....................

Edited by billd - May/04/2009 at 7:00am
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 8:38am
I am sure you realize that I was not talking about 150,000,000,000 just suggesting that if it exceeds what is needed for a given application it won't hurt anything but if it is below what is needed it can cause problems.  Likewise with the alternator example, having a 100 amp alternator won't hurt anything.  Agreed that the excess may not be used but it also is not an issue if you have that extra capacity and never use it.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 9:26am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

It's amazing what you end up hearing from your favorite bands when your system has the power to properly and faithfully reproduce it.

Yeah Bill but a good system still won't make Brittany Spears sound any better!LOL

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 8:25pm
After a long talk with the head electronics guy at Pertronix, I thought I'd update this thread both on this end and at the front end as I learn more about this brand new Ignitor III system and how it compares to other types. I'll keep it simple where novices can grasp the concept along with technoids. This is what I've learned so far. I've also updated the beginning of this post with this new information so if you've already read this, never mind!

If you check out their website, you will see various features listed for each system. For the Ignitor II and Ignitor III units, you will see, "Adaptive Dwell"

Ignitor II and Ignitor III utilize adaptive dwell. These micro controlled ignition systems maximize spark energy a different way than the HEI's. The newer Ignitors samples coil current levels just prior to spark, and uses that information to make adjustments to the dwell time in order to reach peak current levels.  At low rpm when the actual time between sparks is greater, the dwell is started much later in the cycle to reduce system heat. At higher RPM's when the time between spark is short, the dwell is started earlier.  The Ignitor II and III systems adapt to most any coil and attempt to reach maximum current by adjusting the dwell angle. High Performance low resistance coils are a must for Ignitor II and III.

Compared to HEI systems

HEI ignition systems use a current clamping method to make sure that maximum energy is reached for high RPM's. The module charges the coil and clamps the current at the level designated in the module design. The module holds that charge until the time of spark. At low rpm when the time between sparks is longer, this can result in significant heat buildup in both the module and the coil. Duraspark systems are similar to HEI in that they have a maximum current that is clamped.

What is Multi-Spark

Ignitor III multi-spark  - The Ignitor III system uses 60-70 % of the spark energy created to produce the primary spark and follows that with the remainder of what is in the coil. It's not the same thing as a CD multi-spark system which stores the energy in capacitors.

Edited by TorqueyAMX - May/05/2009 at 8:34am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by TorqueyAMX TorqueyAMX wrote:

It's amazing what you end up hearing from your favorite bands when your system has the power to properly and faithfully reproduce it.

Yeah Bill but a good system still won't make Brittany Spears sound any better!LOL

uugghh - you HAD to use that example? LOL..........
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 8:46pm

Originally posted by TorqueyAMX TorqueyAMX wrote:

uugghh - you HAD to use that example? LOL..........

Could have been worse! Could have used "Mrs. Miller" from the Ed Sullivan days if you remember her!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic