TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"New Pertronix Ignitor III Done"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New Pertronix Ignitor III Done"
    Posted: May/12/2018 at 3:41pm
Thought it "ok" to bump this May 2009 post back up top with current recent posts May 2018.
My how times "change"... now $159+ for Mallory UniLite Conversion and $124+ for PerTronix III ! 
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 2:30pm
I ordered mine thru summit or jeggs. Amc was not listed but they do sell them...i asked why they dont list much amc stuff. Operator said if vendor makes amc version of any of there products we can get it, we just dont stock it.

Edited by 53w - Feb/26/2017 at 9:48pm
8ton View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 7:19am
Are all of the Igniter III Delco units compatible with the AMC now? Or do we still need to pay the premium of ordering directly from Pertronix?
scguy390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scguy390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 9:04am
When I installed the Igniter III in my 1969 SC/Rambler and my 1971 SC360, the tach in both cars needed to be replaced.
Haven't had any problems with either car after installing the Igniter III. The IgniterIII has been in the SC/R for 12 years with no problems.

69 SC/Rambler
71 SC360     
72 Gremlin

<
waltl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2016 at 5:01pm
My factory tach quit working after Ignighter III install. 1970 Javelin.
Walt
Walt L.
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2016 at 10:01am
So will the Igniter three work with the factory tachometer in a 69 AMX?

348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 12:13am
Bumping this up since it seems like there are a few installs of pertronix right now that people could use help with and reference this info.

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 7:18pm
Back there somewhere in this thread Tourquey typed about during PerTronix III development
that they had a 350 Chev on a Dyno with a full MSD set-up, did a baseline pull,
then removed all MSD stuff, PerTronix III installed, picked up 10 HP it says......
RB401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RB401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 1:24pm
Just curious, but how does the Ignitor III compare to an MSD 6 or other CD style ignition.  I would assume that the CD box has the cabability of providing much more spark energy which, if needed, would provide for a smoother idle, better accelleration, etc. 

My car has a uniform compression of about 175-180 psi per cylinder, but nevertheless a few cylinders have oily plugs.  I picked up an MSD 6 and MSD distributor a few years ago on EBAY assuming I would likely need the spark energy. Never had any problems with these MSD parts and the car runs fine. But, if I can get rid of the MSD box and wiring and run a Pertronix distributor with the Ignitor III with no loss of performance, I would be inclined to do it. Any thoughts?
'73 Javelin AMX, 401, T5

T5 Swap Page: http://mysite.verizon.net/amxjavelin/t5swap/t5swap.html
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 1:07am
Helping someone choose an ignition upgrade, always come back to this thread
and all the detailed information TourqueyAMX so graciously provided.
Thought while here I'd ad this picture showing AMC & Chevy Point Plate shape differences,
between AMC and Chevy the Points and Condensor are on opposite sides of the Point Plate.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jul/09/2011 at 1:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic