TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

southside machine traction bars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 9:55am
I have a new set sitting in the back of my Spirit never used and the instructions. I photo a couple of pics and post. Steve is right the cal tracs look so much better and aren't that much. I bought my SSM bars 20 years ago when I started building my bracket car and many things have interfered from then till now. I will work on getting some of the dimensions to you guys. Mine of course were made for the spirit body and not sure if the AMX were different. I do know the spring pads are made for a 3" axle tube not the amc 20 size tube. I keep working at my spirit hope to have it going next year. Wish I had your drive line specs steve, the spirit looks great. You bought an old R4B manifold long ago from me hope it worked for you, Anyways I will keep you guys posted. Thanks Paul
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 10:12am
Great reply Paul.... I still have the R4b as well. 

The Spirit is my nephews. It's a simple combo that's been refined & improved over the years. It aims a 360, stock strokes, internal balance, k1 rods, wiseco flat tops, comp .575 solid cam, eddy heads with 2.125 intake valves, torker intake, alky carb. 

It has a 9" ford with I think a 4:56 or 4.86 gear, powerglide trans with about 5800 stall BTE converter. Viking double adjustable coil overs up front & Calvert adjustable shocks on back. He just went 6.52 @ 102 in the 1/8 last weekend in Piedmont NC. 

My gremlin is similar but stock heads with stock size stainless valves no port work. .566 Comp hyd cam, 5200 stall, single adjustable coil overs up front. I have been 6.62 @ 102 in the 1/8. 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 11:46am
Thanks for your car info, slightly more than what I am putting together. mine is a 360, crane .555 solid wiseco flat top and molnar rods 291 heads, torker 3500 stall and 4.30  mopar rear end. Hope to be in the mid 11's 1/4 mile. I may not have enough stall at 3500 we'll see what happens.
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 11:53am
Here the SSM pics and a quick drawing of some specs. Of course drawing not to any scale. Spring mounting plate is 3/8 thick and there are 1/4 support plates from bar to spring plate on each side and is fully closed at the rear of bar.
1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 3:20pm
Paul,
Thanks for the dimensions and photo!
Bryan
Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
Woosterkevin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosterkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2019 at 11:00am
Yes they made them for AMC, I worked for them 20+ yrs ago.The original SSM closed its doors somewhere near 2000, but GForce bought the rights to reproduce a lot of their stuff unfortunately not anything for AMC again not enough demand to warrant the cost to buy the tooling and prints.
javelinken View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 3:52pm
I have a set I would be willing to sell they were on on my javelin as mock up when I had a 8 3/4 mopar rear under it . I went coil overs with ladder bars when I put the Dana 60 under it . So they were never used . Pm me if interested my phone won’t let me post pics or I would. 
1968 javelin sst 1966 rambler classic convertible. Now up to 3 quarter midgets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic