TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing Cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing Cover
    Posted: Nov/30/2019 at 1:13pm
that;s just freakin' weird, but parts these days... glad it worked out!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tloftus View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tloftus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2019 at 9:51am
Just to close the loop on this.. I threw the washer on my Shapeoko 3 and milled out ~0.030 out of the center for the bolt to recess.  The timing cover goes on and the bolt is not in contact with the nub on the cover with a slight amount of clearance.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

Tom
1966 AMC Rambler American Rogue - 232 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1966-amc-american-rogue_topic20995.html

1978 AMC AMX - 258 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1978-amc-amx_topic62333.html
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2019 at 5:37am
The Omix-Ada might be the ticket -- they are a big supplier of Jeep parts and would know the difference between early and late cam gears, and correct any complaints early. The mainstream parts stores are slow to make corrections, as the parts numbers that are "condensed" are usually slow sellers anyway.

I'm with both TomJ and gtoman! A new production nylon gear shouldn't be a problem. 100K+ miles easy. An NOS gear... well, it depends on just how old it is. Nylon is pretty durable or it wouldn't last at all in this application, but it does get brittle with age like all other plastics. Probably not as fast as others, but it does age.

Most people who have experienced problems with nylon coated gears have had older engines, not brand new ones. They will generally last 10+ years, 100K+ miles -- at least under normal use. Heavy use (lots of racing or heavy loads/towing) puts more stress on them and they may not last as long. We all curse things that don't last forever in old cars -- nylon timing gears and vacuum wiper motors get a lot of grief -- even though they do their designed job well for the time they were expected/designed to do it.
Frank Swygert
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 6:37pm
No way— no how would I use the nylon gear.  I would guess you have the wrong gear.

My experience that the nylon will fail..  especially on an old part.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 5:18pm
The top timing gear in your first picture appears to be for a later 4.0 liter engine. The top camshaft bolt has a hole drilled into the center of it, as the later made 4.0 Mopar built AMC six s have a spring and a pin to push again the timing cover the keep the camshaft from walking forward again the timing cover. I've seen the bolt on an old AMC Eagle I had drill right threw the cover and throw oil all over the front of the engine. LRDaum
LRDaum
tloftus View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tloftus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 7:43am
I have ordered the nylon gear, so I will probably end up using that.

Just to be clear on the issue though in case someone else runs across it in the future -- with the timing gear, washer and bolt installed on the cam -- the bolt makes contact with the nipple inside the front of the timing cover before the cover is seated onto the block.

I put everything together on the desk so you can see.. timing cover is on the desk, bolt, washer and gear are upside down.  I put a straight edge across the back of the timing cover and you can see the timing gear is about 1/16" proud.  The issue could probably be resolved by either machining out a dish in the front of the gear for the washer or using a thinner washer.  Neither idea I'm particularly fond of.

I think machining the back down might also work but that is assuming the cam is not already as far into the block as it will go.

I couldn't find the Seal Power part number Trader suggested anywhere in any catalogs or online.

I ended up buying: Perfect Circle S-354T Engine Timing Nylon Camshaft Sprocket J3172306  A NOS off of eBay.  Although I believe you can get them under the Autozone brand:  Duralast Camshaft Timing Gear S-354N.

I also bought:  Omix-Ada 17454.07 Camshaft Gear off of Amazon.  It is cast iron also and the casting appears different in the picture from the S388s you see all over under different brands.  At least in the picture.  Who knows what will be in the box but easy enough to return to Amazon if it ends up being incorrect.

1966 AMC Rambler American Rogue - 232 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1966-amc-american-rogue_topic20995.html

1978 AMC AMX - 258 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1978-amc-amx_topic62333.html
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 6:27am
My best guess is that you probably are getting a 4.0L timing gear. Someone collapsed a catalog and spec'd the newer part as fitting all. This happens a lot, and often small things like that dish are missed. A newer timing cover might solve the issue, but I'd just get the nylon covered gear or a different manufacturer that fits correctly, such as the Sealed Power gear Trader mentioned. The newer timing covers have larger bolt holes in some places due to a difference in how accessories were mounted (I believe 74 and newer). There are enough bolts the same size as the older ones that it will align correctly on those, washers on the larger holes. Bolt pattern is the same.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2019 at 8:06pm
i just changed the timing set in my 199 a couple weeks ago. the original plastic gear, 198,000 miles. noticable wear on the teeth, chain slack, still quite a ways from failure.

i have nothing else to offer here, other than i got a Mahle kit, i think it was, with the repair sleeve.  all steel sprocket, no clearance issues. the rear is of course recessed with the locating pin.

what *exactly* is hitting? dab some paint on various places and check.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2019 at 12:18pm
The S388 is the same casting number for Enginetech, Melling and Cloyes (C3035).
The Seal Power KT3493S gear has the recess for the washer.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2019 at 9:07am
You could also look into a stock replacement for a Jeep 4.0. it's a single roller.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic