TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

GLASS OLD WATER SPOT REMOVAL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GLASS OLD WATER SPOT REMOVAL
    Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 11:59pm
I have 2 AMC's both have water spots from previous owners, who knows how long they have been on the car.

My searches for a solution to remove them are not going well, the web is full of clowns wanting to show off either their own magic trick that isn't magic and doesn't work, or they want to compare 4 methods/products, again with no real solutions.

Is there anything the home enthusiast can do without mechanical buffing involved, or do i just need to take them to a pro and let them do it?

I am just concerned as I have great glass otherwise, one car is also factory tint, so I don't want to wreck either one, but the spots are bad and need to go.

Thanks!
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 5:41am
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 6:34pm
Thank you very much for the recommendation, Meguiar's always has fantastic products, and if you say it has given you good results I believe it!

I will pick some up, thanks again!
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 8:18pm
Dan390,
 Of my 5 1968 AMX's, several had significant calcium residue from water drying on the bottom of the windows, especially the back glass at the bottom corners. I took a sheet of paper towel, layed it over the worst areas and dribbled regular white vinegar til the paper towel was wet. I let it sit for up to 8 hours, then wiped it off and used some regular rubbing compound (by hand!) to polish these areas. The vinegar dissolved a lot of the calcium without damaging the glass, careful polishing by hand improved the clarity but it did not end up a perfect solution. I'm sure with more work, it could look better, but it is dramatically better than it was. I'm sure the Meguairs product is better than my DuPont rubbing compound, but try the vinegar. It will dissolve surface calcium caked on the glass and make the polishing effort easier. Good luck and post some before & after photos if you can.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 10:09pm
I always thought White Vinegar would be a great natural solution, it works for so many things without damaging them. It seems like every web video I have watched with it wasn't 100% successful but I did intend to try it myself anyways.

Thanks for the encouragement, I will probably try both!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic