TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Thermostat housing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 7:51am
Seem like a very good solution should one have a housing that seeps or leaks.
It's a good way to "save" a housing that otherwise may have been tossed.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Originally posted by EVF_Sportabout EVF_Sportabout wrote:

I have experienced the same sealing issues.  Your fix is very interesting!  Instead of having you make a bunch of these could you post the CAD or CNC files so I could have a local shop do this to mine?

I absolutely love your creativity!
I can't believe that you you would even ask him for the CAD file. I draw CAD and machine custom parts all the time and while this is a simple and easy one to create why would he give his work away for free?

If you have a local shop they will have no problem creating two radius and adding in two fillets.  

Tom

I would normally agree with you but we are not talking days or even hours of cad work..  Plus no need to share the source file.  Wouldn't blame for not sharing but most here try to help one another out.

This looks to be a great solution although if access to a mill, surfacing the housing and/or intake could achieve a good result to maintain a stock look.  I have done surfaced stock, JB welded stock, and RobbMC all without issue.  Need to get those pits out to stop the leak.

1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 12:00pm
The thermostat housing pictured is NOT the housing that was on my AMX it is a housing that I used as a test bed for the mod. Anyone intrested in having the mod done IM me and we can discuss it this weekend.

69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
09 Mustang Supercharged 4.6
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 3:20pm
Nice fix.
I use a gasket and Right Stuff and never had a leak, but anything can happen.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 4:30pm
Great fix!!! 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 6:27pm
Javelin360 - Thanks for posting the fix, for those that can, an O-Ring Groove seems like a nice thing to do if one wants to.  You may have already done it, but if not, I have a old printed paper O-Ring Design Catalog, and I can look up the "Static Surface Seal" O-Ring Gland Features and Dimensions if ya want me to specifically for the cross section size O-Ring you used.
EVF_Sportabout View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 10:04pm

Tom,

I see a lot of your posts on the forum and have come to respect your knowledge by reading them.  Kind of took you as a leader of this forum.  Obviously you passed CAD in school and are quite capable of getting your jerk on as well. 

I thought were are all here to share and help each other?
If he does not want to share that is fine with me.  All he has to to is not reply.

Thanks for the red mark friend!

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 10:44pm
I`m sorry i do not take him as a jerk......There are many guy`s on the forum(and out there) that i would never ask for that kind of information....He spent many hours coming up with a solution...time is money....i`m sure you don`t go to work for free.....i personally do not work by the hour and i find i give a customer more then he has paid for...it makes me feel good and they come back....but on the other hand it not wrong to give them exactly what they have paid for either.....He did the work ...he proved it will work...this open`s the door for other people to use or expand on his venture .....thanks for sharing....
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 9:46am
I've had to use a flat file to re-establish a flat mating surface on a few thermostat housings because they tend to flex out by the bolt holes.

I have never had to use a sealant with the blue gaskets from Fel_Pro.

I've had to set up an aluminum intake manifold in a milling machine to mill the mating surface of the thermostat housing on the intake manifold because of casting porosity and a little bit of minor corrosion. Then had to machine the recess for the thermostat a little deeper too. There' is not a lot of meat there to work with as I recall.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 10:42am
Another thing is -if you have a car that is showing signs of excessive pitting on the thermostat housing this may indicate a weak ground strap between the engine and the frame of the car -whereas the electrical ground for the engine will be trying to flow through the coolant instead & causing abnormally high electrolysis to the aluminum parts (where aluminum is a superior electrical conductor) -also, I believe the better chemistry of new school super coolants reduces electrolysis so might be something to study ...where distilled water alone fails to accomplish all that a higher tech coolant can do for the engine.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Oct/10/2019 at 11:03am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic