TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Thermostat housing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

Another thing is -if you have a car that is showing signs of excessive pitting on the thermostat housing this may indicate a weak ground strap between the engine and the frame of the car -whereas the electrical ground for the engine will be trying to flow through the coolant instead & causing abnormally high electrolysis to the aluminum parts (where aluminum is a superior electrical conductor) -also, I believe the better chemistry of new school super coolants reduces electrolysis so might be something to study ...where distilled water alone fails to accomplish all that a higher tech coolant can do for the engine.

It is important to install a sacrificial anode in the radiator when cast iron blocks have aluminum parts attached to them such as: thermostat, radiator, intake, heads, etc. Electrolysis will  eat the sacrificial anode instead of the aluminum engine parts. Been using anodes for 15 years now with no electrolysis issues.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

It is important to install a sacrificial anode in the radiator when cast iron blocks have aluminum parts attached to them such as: thermostat, radiator, intake, heads, etc. Electrolysis will  eat the sacrificial anode instead of the aluminum engine parts. Been using anodes for 15 years now with no electrolysis issues.

Same here. They make radiator drains with one on it that you replace the petcock with.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 6:19pm
I don't mind sharing my work and have done so in the past. I did this little project after hours at work. I can't download the file and take it home due to security protocols. I'll work on recreating the file on my cad software at home if anyone is interested. 

It's likely that having a machine shop do this mod is going to be a bit expensive. While the machine time is minimal for the groove the shop is going to have to make a fixture to hold the housing. Local shops charge by the flat rate hour. Around here it's $120 flat rate. Figure an hour to make the fixture then if they are anal like me they will do a test run on scrap material then cut the actual housing. Figure two hours minimum charge. You can buy the aftermarket housing for less. 
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
09 Mustang Supercharged 4.6
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 2:17pm
Bummer so few want these because I would love
to load up our NH5000 and run a hundred or so.

yes, it is O-Ringed.

Edited by Boris Badanov - Oct/12/2019 at 2:21pm
Gremlin Dreams
Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 8:56pm

If anyone wants dwg or dxf files IM me your email address. The groove around the bypass area is altered a bit since these housings are not always symmetrical. 
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
09 Mustang Supercharged 4.6
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 8:57pm
These are fantastic water necks! Had one on my car for a few years now. 
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 9:32pm
Boris, how much $?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 10:35am
I amnot beating around the bush.

But that depends on the quantity.
Gremlin Dreams
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 4:03pm
As was the last time I posted about this
there is little or no interest.

I would need to make at least 20~ to justify
tooling the job.

For just one the price would scare you.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic