TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Thermostat housing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermostat housing
    Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 6:22pm
I've tried several times on my AMX to seal the thermostat housing. I've had luck with my Javelin using a handmade garlock gasket and RTV along with using a surface plate and sand paper to true up the bottom of the housing. I tried two different housings on the AMX with the above procedure to no avail. I decided to attempt an o-ring solution and it worked.

I sat down with my Autocad 2000 program and a thermostat housing and got to work. The end result was a 2.5mm o-ring slot around the perimeter of the housing. A 2.5mm x 65mm o-ring fits perfectly in this groove. I fabricated a fixture and tranfered my work to the CNC machine and cut the groove. Next I fabricated a fixture to pressure test the housing. I added a bit of water to the housing and test fixture and pressurised to 25psi. No water escaped the joint between the fixture and the housing.

Yesterday I installed the housing on the motor and brought it up to operating temprature, no leaks noted. I then let everything cool down for several hours and checks for leaks and things were dry as a bone. I'll keep an eye on things but I think this mod will function just fine.

69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
09 Mustang Supercharged 4.6
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 7:24pm
Intrested.
Would you be willing to make some for me ?
AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
EVF_Sportabout View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 8:22pm
I have experienced the same sealing issues.  Your fix is very interesting!  Instead of having you make a bunch of these could you post the CAD or CNC files so I could have a local shop do this to mine?

I absolutely love your creativity!
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by EVF_Sportabout EVF_Sportabout wrote:

I have experienced the same sealing issues.  Your fix is very interesting!  Instead of having you make a bunch of these could you post the CAD or CNC files so I could have a local shop do this to mine?

I absolutely love your creativity!
I can't believe that you you would even ask him for the CAD file. I draw CAD and machine custom parts all the time and while this is a simple and easy one to create why would he give his work away for free?

If you have a local shop they will have no problem creating two radius and adding in two fillets.  

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 9:49pm
RobMC sells this billet housing that swivels for $99.00. If I ever need one I will get this. I do like the idea of modifying one.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 9:55pm
I guess I'm lame.  I have never had a problem sealing the t-stat housing to the intake manifold.  What or why does this leak occur here?  And, yes, I have built several AMC engines and none leaked.  I'm just curious.  Is this a corroded aluminum T-stat housing issue and a way to preserve them?
Mike
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 12:07am
Same here. Sixes and eights. I've used a straight edge to check for squareness and ran the housing over sandpaper on a flat surface. And I know some people will cringe but I use a light skim of Indian Head when mounting on the manifold.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 5:39am
While a very cool solution I also have never had a problem... a little gasket varnish on the gasket that comes with the thermo and all good...
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 6:39am
Look at the picture- the thermostat is heavily corroded on the mounting surface. Sand that flat and make sure the intake is also flat. JB Weld also works well here as a filler if necessary and then sand flat.

And, sorry, but what's wrong with asking him for the cad file? I realize it took some time for him to develop, but people help here all the time sharing knowledge that it took them time and $ to learn. If he doesn't want to share it, that is fine, but there's nothing wrong with asking.
n3wwl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n3wwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 7:43am
Recently replaced the housing on a '69 AMX 390 due to deterioration.  It literally fell apart while removing to replace thermostat.  Sanded the surface, replaced the housing and gasket.  Have not had any leaks after a recent long round trip of 450 miles.

Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic