TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New leaf springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 9:07pm
6768rogues - You did something I did not, on my '69 AMX I put on new Gabriels, and had no basis of comparison, where you did also and then tried the KYB shocks and saw, felt, and experienced the difference 1st hand...  Thanks for sharing what you found !
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 5:05am
I put new springs on my amx and it too rides stiff guess it’s race ready lol
Gary
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 5:09am
Originally posted by amx007 amx007 wrote:

I put new springs on my amx and it too rides stiff guess it’s race ready lol
Gary

Gary,
Did you go with 5 leaf (heavy duty) or 4 leaf on your AMX? Also, what wheels/tires are you using? I have a 70 AMX and I'm trying to figure out which way to go.

Thanks,
Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Jfunk378 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jfunk378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 5:48am
Is 5 leaf the heavy duty spring? That’s what’s on my car now. 

I’m leaning towards a half inch over stock spring and a shackle kit that gives me another half inch. 

Anyone know what the stock ride height for front and back is?

Now I have to figure out what shock to go with. Mixed reviews on the KYB Gas shocks, and my budget doesn’t allow for the $200 each hydraulic shock I’ve seen. Anyone have any other hydraulic shock options?
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

6768rogues - You did something I did not, on my '69 AMX I put on new Gabriels, and had no basis of comparison, where you did also and then tried the KYB shocks and saw, felt, and experienced the difference 1st hand...  Thanks for sharing what you found !
I should have known better than to use Gabriel. I had a GM pickup with worn out shocks. I put on Gabriel and no change, it still rode like it did with the worn out OEM shocks. I took them back, 2 days old, and got a refund (Autozone). I went across the street (Advance) and got Monroes. The truck rode like new and the shocks outlasted the truck. Gabriel-never again.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 10:19am
Jfunk, according to a print I have, the stock height should be about 8-3/8” to the bottom of the rocker. Nearly level front to back. 
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Jfunk378 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jfunk378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 8:24pm
I just measured mine. 10 1/2 to bottom of rocker at rear. 10 at bottom of rocker at front. Both measurements were taken where wheel arch ends at rocker. 

Wheel an tires. 
Front: 205/65/15
Rear: 225/70/15
Wheels are Torque thrusts
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 10:52pm
Tall tires you all are talkin.

KYB Gr2 shocks Are not gas cell equipped. “Hydraulic”
KYB Gas Adj are a low pressure gas cell equipped twin tube shock. Very good for the money. Not harsh in my opinion. Cheap but good. High value. 

Koni Reds or Blacks are lightly sport valved twin tube shocks. Most are not gas cell equipped. These are very high quality shocks with specific valving for each app. Not harsh and infact, very controlled high quality dampers for the money. Yes, a bit of money, but not bad. Rebuildable and revalveable AND adjustable for(on) rebound. Koni Yellow, a different animal. 

Bilstein (most) are high pressure gas, fully devided from the working piston (no cell bag) Mono Tube shock, of very high quality. For the money, they have extremely high standards. 
The mono tube gives the shock way more sensitivity (via its large piston area)over small movements which can make them feel impact harsh. When valved for the application they are outstanding pieces. Body control is really good. They are firm. There are tweaks to lessen that, but it gets into working with them. They are highly durable. And rebuildable and revalveable at the factory or a service center. 

Any Gabriel or Monroe or AC or what have you, is fairly low end generic replacement stuff, most are not tailored for the individual car. A few good products, but... 

Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 10:55pm
Better to get the arch right during manufacture. Re arch is temporary and lame. De arch a little better. 

1/2” shackle lift as posted will be at least a 1” longer piece. Bad for handling, most times. And bad for pinion angle. 

Best to build it in the spring.  
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 8:25am
I’ll check on if 4 or 5 I think 5
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic