TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New leaf springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jfunk378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New leaf springs
    Posted: Oct/07/2019 at 8:09pm
Long story short. 74 Hornet Hatchback with a 360. The Hornet need new leaf springs. I can’t take my kids for rides because it causes the rear tires to rub slightly. Tires are 225/70/15. Measuring from ground to lip is 28 inches. That gives me a max of about half an inch between tire and lip. Not enough. 

Here’s the question

1. I got a quote from ESPO Springs n Things. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the quality of the springs they sell. 
2. I am waiting on a quote from Eaton Spring. Same question on quality. 

I also think the car could benefit from a one inch lift. I’m sure just having new springs will add some lift, but maybe not enough. Any insight here would be helpful as well. 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 12:03am
I bought new springs from Eaton Detroit 2 years ago.  Had them bent another 3/4" for my 69 Rambler with a new 360 in it.  Perfect level in my estimation.  Tires are 215/65/15.  Eaton Detroit products are not cheap.  There are others that have used Espo as well as other brands and I'm sure they can chime in with some experience and wisdom for you.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Jfunk378 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jfunk378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 5:50am
Thank you for responding. You’re right, none of the good options are cheap. I’m trying to avoid spending the money on the. Wrong stuff. You said you had to add a 3/4 bend. Why? Did you choose stock height, and found you needed more lift? Also, will the springs “settle” some?
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 9:16am
My old springs were tired and riding low.  I read a lot about the stance of the car and that they do sag some over time so after speaking with Eaton I had them bent slightly.  Did not want the California rake look so I went with a slight bend.  I, too, converted from a six cylinder to a 360 and converted my AMC 15 rear to a Ford 8.8, new shocks and went from 14" wheels to 15".  I also replaced the whole front end suspension with factory pieces as well as new front coil springs.  So lots of new factors to review, hence a slight bend to a new set of 4 leaf springs.  Your results may vary depending on your factors and the look you desire in the rear.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 11:45am
I would suggest you DO NOT use espo.  Mine did not last two seasons before they severely sagged.  Eaton Detroit are great, and you can buy McVeigh's Springs replacements (Daton Springs made in Harrisburg PA) on Ebay or direct.  Just Search McVeigh's Truck Springs and you will find the ebay listings and the shop in Michigan.  Tom was great to work with and the springs were of oem or better quality.

Bryan

Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 2:42pm
I have used ESPO on several cars. On one Rogue they are almost 20 years old and they are still in good shape. I have noticed that when their new "stock" springs are installed the cars sit higher than stock.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Jfunk378 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jfunk378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 8:33pm
I am expecting new springs to have some lift. But I know it’s impossible to know how much. What about stiffness? Anything noticeable, or excessive? I’m also going to replace the shocks while I’m at it. Thinking if the KYB GR2/ EXCEL-G front and rear. I’m hoping these aren’t too harsh. The roads where I drive can be rough. 
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Jfunk378 Jfunk378 wrote:

I am expecting new springs to have some lift. But I know it’s impossible to know how much. What about stiffness? Anything noticeable, or excessive? I’m also going to replace the shocks while I’m at it. Thinking if the KYB GR2/ EXCEL-G front and rear. I’m hoping these aren’t too harsh. The roads where I drive can be rough. 

Trust me, you don't want those shocks! I just took a pair off of my Javelin because it made the car ride so stiff. Here's a recent thread on shocks you should read. http://theamcforum.com/forum/where-to-buy-hydraulic-shocks_topic101019.html

Edited by Mopar_guy - Oct/08/2019 at 9:35pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 11:31pm
I had Gabriel shocks on my Rogue convertible and it was like riding on a cork in a toilet. I replaced them with KYB and it rides like a new car.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 3:20am
i'd go with Laura at Espo for the win!
they actually match both springs before they ship. 
my 1st shipment got lost somewhere in IL by UPS. She immediately shipped out a 2nd set the next day. 
was helpful though the install process. so service after the sale as well. 

69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic