TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 rambler fuel tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 rambler fuel tank
    Posted: Oct/04/2019 at 6:31pm
I have been reading on this site about using a 65-68 mustang tank to replace my rusted out original tank.
I looked on line and they are incredibly cheap. How much modification is required? I have a 199 and exhaust on the driver side. Thanks for the help.  
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2019 at 8:40pm
I used the fuel injection version of that tank in my 66 American convertible. In the Mustang it is flange mounted in a hole in the trunk floor so the top of the tank is the trunk floor. I made a mount system so it is below the trunk floor so I didn’t have to cut out the floor. I did cut a hole and made a cover so I can access the pump and sender without dropping the tank. I kept mine offset to the right like the stock tank so the exhaust is on its left side. The filler is moved to the right, so I cut a new hole for it in the trunk floor and got hoses with bends and made a filler hose to the original shortened filler neck.
It was some work but I wanted a FI tank with internal pump for my 4.0 conversion. Brand new and clean is hard to beat.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
TheRambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 9:21am
Thanks, that looks like the way to go.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 10:50am
I mounted a 65 Mustang tank in my 65 American several years ago dead center so I could use the existing filler neck opening.  I forgot what I had to do (modify) with the Mustang filler neck but I made it fit the old tail panel opening.  Like the poster above I suspended the tank beneath the existing trunk floor with long bolts through the floor and brass bushings and nuts.   I think I had to modify the tail end of the exhaust to re-position the muffler and short tail pipe.  I used the Mustang fuel tank sender which had the correct empty/full olhms range as I recall.  Anyway it was eminently doable.  Joe

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 3:35pm
I also used a Mustang tank.  I centered it and mounted it through the trunk since the trunk floor was rusty. Mine is also a EFI tank with internal pump and baffles.  I was able to modify a Mustang filler neck, the mounting holes line up with the holes in the Rambler tail panel, and the factory gas cap fits.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 11:39pm
Pintos exploded because the top of the tank was the trunk floor. I don’t know why Mustangs used that system without bad press. My convertible has only the top well, which is fabric, separating me from the trunk, so I opted to leave the trunk floor intact and mount the tank below.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 9:46pm
Although using the fuel tank as the trunk floor is not one of Ford's betterideas that's not what caused the infamous Pinto fires. (I don't think the Pinto's tank was even made that way.) The problem was that the filler neck would tear away and rear axle bolts could puncture the tank in a rear-end collision.

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 10:58pm
Are you guys using the 16 gallon tank offered by CJ Pony Parts? 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by SensibleSpectaculars SensibleSpectaculars wrote:

Although using the fuel tank as the trunk floor is not one of Ford's betterideas that's not what caused the infamous Pinto fires. (I don't think the Pinto's tank was even made that way.) The problem was that the filler neck would tear away and rear axle bolts could puncture the tank in a rear-end collision.

You are correct, the lack of a trunk floor did not make them explode. The fuel neck was not attached to the tank, it was pushed in through an o-ring. When it came loose gas went into the car because of no trunk floor. I am corrected that the lack of a trunk floor did not cause the explosion, rather, it made the explosion more deadly for the occupants. There were many complaints of gas smell in the car and/or trunk from the filler. Below the floor would have been a little better, especially with a better filler neck.
Anyhow, my point is that the convertible has a piece of cloth separating the trunk from the car, so I didn’t wanted the tank below the floor.

Edited by 6768rogues - Oct/09/2019 at 11:23pm

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 9:27am
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

Are you guys using the 16 gallon tank offered by CJ Pony Parts? 

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic