TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

GAS PEDAL SLOPPY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GAS PEDAL SLOPPY
    Posted: Oct/03/2019 at 7:27pm
Anyone ever deal with a really sloppy gas pedal assy?  Looks like if there were any plastic bushings they are gone.  It just seems really  sloppy, maybe that's  the was they are?
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2019 at 9:47pm
When they're in good shape, no, they're not sloppy.
But without any ideal what car you're talking about, it's hard to advise you.

Have you got down and looked at the linkage ?  In the floor ?   On the firewall ?

There's several places missing bushings and loose brackets would cause wasted motion.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2019 at 10:46pm
OH,  , my bad, it's an AMX linkage.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

javsst70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2019 at 8:01am
Not a complete solution, but the return spring can affect this. Too weak will make it sloppy, and hard to modulate throttle. Stronger spring tightens it up, but you don’t want to go too far, because then you end up stomping on it to get moving. I went through several different springs to get one I liked for the street.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2019 at 4:22pm
If it is the stock Gas Pedal, imho be careful and maybe modify it if it is stock
and has the integral bracket for the BW Auto Kickdown Switch
which can cause it to get stuck at Wide Open Throttle, like mine did
thankfully at the drag strip and I had a second and turned off the igntion key to stop.
Recall not seeing bushings on mine, but does look like some on it in the below picture.
None specifically pointed out in the parts manual diagram.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/04/2019 at 4:29pm
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 6:26pm
Mine is really sloppy at the pivot area. I guess the best thing is to find a replacement one that is tight rater than try and bake bushings to take up the slop.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 9:09pm
Wonder if something off the shelf might be able to be found here:

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/10/2019 at 12:32am
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 9:34pm
Are "we" talking about the plastic pedal (4.040-1)?  Or we talking about the part that bolts to the firewall (4.050-1)?  The pedal is plastic; they wear out at the hinge.  Fix: replace the pedal.  What am I missing?
Mike
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 10:06pm
FIREWALL HINGE

1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 11:42pm
Nay: AMC AMX won SAE "Best Engineered Car of the Year" twice; 1969 & 1970 -that says a lot about the quality, and we can repeat that to anyone else who tries to talk down our favorite cars like they're stupid poorly made US cars etc etc so phooey on that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On that vintage road race car?

That gas pedal should be thrashed!

It's a credit to American Motors it's even still on there & not busted off and replaced with an aftermarket unit a long-long time ago.

Multi-carb intakes are harder on the pivots also...

No tellin' what kind of evil carb setups that car's had on it in the past... -two well worn Holley modulars with gear actuated secondaries would not surprise me for a second.

-plenty of reasons why but I'm also sure I can't imagine how bad it really is! ('cause I've never owned a vintage road race car)

-guess it's time for a repair or replacement

I just checked Amark AMX & Javelin Parts and ...they have an excellent selection of 'soft' parts (like a reproduction gas pedal) but no actual gas pedal assembly.

Didn't see one at American Parts Depot website either -but they might have a used one/just not listed.

80% sure Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts might have one; they bought an all AMC junkyard back the early eighties ...they used to have LOTS of used AMC parts.

Hmm... who did I miss...

Try 'AMC Lives' also -if not new, they might have used.

-shouldn't be that difficult for a metal fabricator at your local welding shop to grind off the welds & weld new metal in the pivot areas, re-bush it with brass or copper bushings etc etc...

Edited by amcenthusiast - Oct/10/2019 at 12:28am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic