TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BMO GREMLIN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMO GREMLIN
    Posted: Oct/03/2019 at 9:26am
I have decided to start a build thread on my 74 gremlin i figured i should have a detailed list of what has been done from when i started 3 years ago to its current status the car has been a kinda low budget project, if there is such a thing. So after i get all the details on paper i will start posting the info. I started out with the idea that i wanted the end result to be the car i would have had back when i was younger. It won't be perfect or a concourse restoration just a nice driver that will be fun to drive. 
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2019 at 12:08pm
Sounds good...will be following your progress.
72 Gremlin X
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2019 at 4:36pm
I always look forward to reading the details on Gremlin builds........Smile

Rick

I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2019 at 7:39pm
Here's a pic of what i started with pics are loading upside down and i can't figure out why lol
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2019 at 7:42pm
Current condition three years later 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2019 at 9:56pm
So here is a quick rundown of what i guess one would call the tech sheet. 74 gremlin. 6 cylinder converted to v8 with all factory hardware 904 trans. Rear diff converted to 8.8 out of 92 ford ranger. Rear leaf springs are rancho 2.5 lift out of a 90 wrangler. They fit perfect and made it sit to my liking. Converted to floor shift using the shifter and cable brackets etc from a 95 grand cherokee. All the cable brackets bolted right on the 904. Only other thing out of the norm would be the instrument cluster.  I bought a 3 hole and made it to fit a 86 wagoneer gauges. I really like the three gauges and it looks like the factory did it. Rest is just normal stuff. Cammed up 304 htx headers torker and 36 inch long glass packs. Car will have a black interior and outside orange with a shadow mask type paint scheme except gloss black. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2019 at 10:43am
So the first thing i did of course was to disassemble and find out what we have. Car was mainly really beat up but not much rust. Went to harbor freight and bought a 5$ buffing pad for my grinder. A local welding supply had 5 inch diameter surface prep discs. Went through maybe 10 of those and 4 wire brush cups and we were all bare metal. Fixed a couple of bad spots Then coated it wirh vansickle flat black till it was time to really dig into the outer body. Next since my little garage has a dirt floor i came up with a way to flip the gremlin up on her side. Right where the driver side bumper shocks are i dug two holes three feet deep with a post hole digger and place a 8ft 4x4 post in the hole and packed it down. Bolted the post to the bumper mount and very easily walked her right up on her side. She stayed that way one whole winter while i did the under side. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2019 at 4:59pm
Next step for me was the inside i let her back down on all fours and broke out the wire wheel. Most of us dream of a perfectly painted body shell like they show in all the magazine's. I always did to however the thought accrued to me that everything but the rear sail panels where going to be covered up so i put three coats of the orange on with a roller and moved on. Next wire wheeled the engine compartment and sprayed the primer and three coats of orange and some clear looked fine so i put the motor in. I know some off this might sound backwards but when your garage is only 12 feet wide and 32 feet long you have to work around a lot of stuff. So best place to store a motor is in the car. Lol
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2019 at 5:08pm
304 in car first time
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 7:36am
Going to need sun glasses to walk around this beauty.......

I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic