TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stainless steel brake lines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2020 at 4:26am
 I am also going with silicone brake fluid, I have read that braking might be slightly less with silicone fluid although for street use I doubt it will make much difference.

J
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2020 at 7:16am
I can't get the same hard pedal feel with the silicone fluid as with regular fluid- it traps air. For a nice weather driver or show car, it's acceptable, and it makes sense on a show car.

But, you should occasionally change brake fluid in a car that's driven. The fluid in the caliper and wheel cylinder stays there and gets cooked from use; it doesn't circulate.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2020 at 9:19am
My lines are original. The fluid got changed when I honed the wheel cylinders and changed the seals. It got changed again when the master cylinder had to be changed and then again when the wheel cylinders were finally worn out and had to be replaced, front and rear at different times. Oh, and let's not forget the times for the  front brake upgrade to ten inch and again when rear diff got changed. I guess that makes at least ten fluid changes over its 55+ year life, so at least once every five or six years, not bad. 

Edited by vinny - Jan/28/2020 at 9:36am
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 9:06pm
So is what the previous poster said about the fine lines tubes true? As far as ease of install for the SS because of annealing?
javguy
Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 1:57am
Go to Fine Lines site and read the description of their stainless tubing. It is annealed. Now they list 25' for 29.95. Tubing is 304 grade stainless but made softer. They list benefits- bends like normal oem steel, flares like oem steel. I have used it with no problems, I use the EASTWOOD type flaring tool, deburring tool and lapping tool. Regular 45 degree fittings can be used as it flares like regular steel. I have not had to over tighten fittings or put sealant on the threads as the flare is what seals not the thread as some have suggested. If it is flared right , and the rest ok then it should. My last project, all brake lines, fuel lines were made, no leaks first time bleeding brakes. All components were new.
1968 AMX 390 4SP
70,71,72 AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 12:11pm
I've put SS lines and silicone fluid in 6 different cars, with no issues with either component. Now, Reman. '69 AMX brake calipers, that's another story..
Bruce in NW Ohio
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2020 at 6:49pm
Awesome!
javguy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic