TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Carter WCD 2bbl carb.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter WCD 2bbl carb.
    Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 1:54pm
Does anyone know the correct name for the piece that clamps on top of the carburetor, that allows you to attach the air cleaner??  I do not have it, and without the correct name, I am having trouble finding one..
I have the Carter WCD carb, and the intake plate for the 195.6, and an air cleaner..   But need the piece for the top of the carb before I can use it..

Thanks
Jeff
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 4:35pm
I believe it's called the air cleaner bail.  Not easy to find.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 9:15pm
what year requires the bail? i had a WCD on a 1963 American, the air cleaner assembly (paper filter type) sat on top of the carb. you might more easily find one of those.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 11:03pm
My 67 has a bail, it is a piece of wire that wraps around a stud. That stud goes through the air cleaner lid and holds the air cleaner on.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 7:46am
Not sure of the exact year.
I have all of the parts to but this 2barrel Carter carb on my 65 195.6 engine, EXCEPT for the Bail..
I will have to do a search using that term, instead of "adaptor" and see what I can find..
Thanks
Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 7:49am
the top pf my Carb has NOTHING to attach an air cleaner to.. it is the paper element type, but there is NO bolt to put a wing nut on, and nothing to hold a bolt in place, just the open 2 5/8 carburetor opening
Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 7:59am
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 2:11pm
Larry, I will check through my parts but one place you could also check is antique (1950s) Buick sites.  Buicks used that carb in on version or another on the straight eights for many many years.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 2:21pm
Had pic, can’t get it to post.

Edited by 6768rogues - Sep/11/2019 at 2:35pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2019 at 4:33am
I just found an air cleaner bail as described by 6768rogues.  To mount it will require drilling two holes in the air horn.  Do you have the correct air cleaner base for the WCD?  It would have an indentation to fit over the metering rods cover.  Also when mounting the plate on the engine remember the inner row of bolts are actually head bolts and will require proper torquing.  Please PM me your mailing address and I'll send you the bail for free.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic