TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amc eagle issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amc eagle issues
    Posted: Sep/09/2019 at 5:54am
Sorry, I would not use that on Eagle 258 - not as it stands.
They still have EGR in there, has manifold vacuum going to advance. 
Sharing manifold vacuum canister for shifting with vacuum advance? With a check valve - where?
I would leave one thing as they have it - the controls for the air filter snorkel system. (TAC VAC motor lines)
Otherwise I'd run ported vacuum to the vacuum advance - one simple single line direct. NOT manifold vacuum and certainly not with a vacuum canister in the line with the advance. You delay its action as they have it. 
I would leave the PCV line alone - that's not an issue and you need PCV. 

I can't see how this is simplified with less chance of leaks? It's a bit different, but not really simplified when they are still running almost all of the factory emissions stuff including EGR which is where a lot of performance issues come into play. He said the PO had removed some of the emissions stuff - seems to me this puts it back. If looking for simple, clean, and some performance - I'd not put it back unless I lived in California or a couple of other places and absolutely had to just to drive the car. 

On those I have owned and worked on - I run ported vacuum to the advance - DIRECTLY, don't pass go, don't collect $200 - direct hose right side carb to vacuum advance, and NO canister in the vacuum advance line for sure. 
I leave the TAC air cleaner system in place because it does warm the air for climates like ours where it gets bloody cold and cold air going into a cold engine means cold weather drive-ability issues

I'd follow the TSM (technical service manual) before I'd follow this - but he wants to simplify it and not put the emissions back is how I read the post.

g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2019 at 1:17am
See if this helps.
Diagram of a simplified vacuum & air set-up for Eagle.
Everything still works, less chances for stupid leaks.
Can't take credit for this...but it is simple & intelligent.

g-man

AMC only daily driver
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 11:17pm
As long as your territory doesn't have emissions standards it has to pass.......
I ran a vacuum line from the ported vacuum connection on the right side (as sitting in the car) of the carburetor to the vacuum advance and bypassed all of those other vacuum advance controls. Worked fine, like they were set up in the 60s and early 70s. 
There may be other vacuum controls for things like the air intake - the flapper on the air cleaner, but depending on your climate and needs - some even bypass that, and simply run it with no hoses or vacuum connections to the air cleaner. 
Dowler91 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dowler91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 9:28pm
Just purchased an 81 amc eagle but after sitting for so long the mice have eaten the vacuum lines, the previous owner had removed part of the emissions so I was wondering if I can eliminate major of the vaccine lines and keep just the basics
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic