TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 8:27am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

It's my high school car and I've had it for 27 years!
Wow, 27 years in high school. I salute your determination. Best of luck in getting that diploma. LOL

Seriously, I have been following and enjoying this build. Not every project needs to be a 100 point resto to be interesting.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 8:49am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

It's my high school car and I've had it for 27 years!
Wow, 27 years in high school. I salute your determination. Best of luck in getting that diploma. LOL

Seriously, I have been following and enjoying this build. Not every project needs to be a 100 point resto to be interesting.

Haha... been to a few colleges since then! Seriously... Thanks a lot. I just like the car and I like the reaction the car gets from people at a gas station or a car show or from people that remember me from high school and are really surprised I still have it! I just wanted this car to have some slight upgrades but still have an unassuming mostly stock look. So far the response has been good from people who have seen it up close and even though its still going to get driven a lot... I wanted this to be done at a high level. When I drive it again... I want the first driving experience to feel like I have a new car again. They'll be some tuning, tweaks and adjustments for a while but that's all par for the course considering how much work had been done. As much as I am doing this for myself... and I am doing this for myself... ha... I am doing it for other people too. My hope is that this Concord causes a few people to buy some more of these old Concords before they're gone. My idea is that the Concord will be the last semi-slightly collectible Malaise Era AMC and people will really be kicking themselves that they didn't get a nice clean one while they were still around. They are a car that defines an era of my life in the city that AMC and I are both from but its also a tribute to all the fun AMC/VAM/IKA/AIM people I have met along the way. I consulted with a lot of people over the years over a lot of different aspects of my car.. from the engine... to the body and paint work... the transmission.. the suspension.. the brakes... I have reached out to several people here over the years... badgering some with emails and text messages and phone calls to no end... and I while I cannot thank all those people here individually... they should know who they are and also know that their individual efforts are a part of this car too. I am thankful for all my friends and family who have helped me and supported me over the years. Without them this car would not be coming together today.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Feb/06/2020 at 8:54am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2020 at 9:44am
Hello everyone. Not much to say. Just a few pictures of the parts I want to install in the future. I have had these for a while now. The non-AC package tray and the pod are from a 70's Gremlin/Hornet. The gauges are from a Spirit GT/AMX.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 7:17pm
Nice!!!! I got the same gauge pod for our 78 Concord project....I will admit i`m only installing it for show and not hooking it up
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2020 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

Nice!!!! I got the same gauge pod for our 78 Concord project....I will admit i`m only installing it for show and not hooking it up

Thanks a lot Anthony! Sorry. I just saw your comment now. I appreciate it. Your work on your son's Concord is what inspired me. 
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2020 at 8:18pm
Can't wait to see it outside with the sun shinning on it. Keep up the great work on a very cool ride. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2020 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by BMOgremlin BMOgremlin wrote:

Can't wait to see it outside with the sun shinning on it. Keep up the great work on a very cool ride. 
Thank you very much. I can't wait to see it in the sun too! It's been a long time waiting. I've owned the car for 27 years. I've been planning this for a long long time. I need to get it on the road! 

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Apr/06/2020 at 9:13pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 5:39pm
Well... As promised... May is here and I'm starting to mess around with my Concord again. Today the front nose pieces were reinstalled and the car is really starting to look good. As many of you already know... It's a Concord and I impress easily. Anyway... I installed the 15in. Barcelona rims and they look great. One observation... The front end is really high still. 

I bought the shortest spring possible for the 79 v8 Concord but it's darn near as high as the rear with the 20 year old  wagon special order leaf springs. I hope the rear will be taller again once I put on the new special order set. If not... I think a set of drop spindle plates are in my future.

For anyone interested... I got these leaf springs from Babcock Springs in Milwaukee, WI. They are apparently called the AMC  SS spring in their inventory books. These were special made and not cheap. Put it this way... In 1993 when I ordered the same spring from them... Yes the same company.... It was a shelf item back then and cost roughly a 1/3 of what I paid in Dec. 2019 for these new ones. I got my monies worth and wasn't going to go some place else. My current springs are an inch off of each other. While I could've probably had them add a new lower helper leaf... I elected to retire them and just get a new set. Apparently this spring will also fit the early 69-70 Javelin as well.

Now the second thing I started messing with was the darn alternator bracket. Once again I got another alt. bracket and once again it doesn't work. I don't know what I'm missing here. I'm hoping one of you can can tell me. The one I'm currently using is an A/C Alt. bracket from a Jeep J10 with a 360. At first I didn't know that it was missing the compressor shelf portion. So I got a different bracket because I wasn't using AC. This AC bracket fits with the stock 6 cylinder alternator. 

So then I got a z bracket alt. mount instead. Then when I tried mock up the alt. with the bracket it didn't fit the new alt. I bought the higher output ACDelco alt for the 82 Concord because the one I had already fit on the A/C bracket. Now the replacement doesn't fit the new bracket. Does this have to be modified or can I obtain one that fits this bracket and works in my car? Anyone know please chime in.

Last but not least I found out just how badly my strut rods are adjusted today... 😩

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 6:02pm
Them things usually come in threes... x fingers just two for now.

I sold a late model alternator bracket kit long ago, but kept my exploded diagram. This may help....

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2020 at 11:50am
AMC always had a higher front end. I didn't like ti so when I had the front end off of the Spirit GT, I cut out the bottom coil of the front end. It sat perfectly. I used my Dremel. I will caution you to watch where you put your fingers.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
  Share Topic