TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2019 at 8:12am
I ordered a black '78 Concord DL new in '78 and it came with a burgundy interior and matching stripes. I always thought it would look better with gold stripes and had I kept it, I would have had them changed.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2019 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

I ordered a black '78 Concord DL new in '78 and it came with a burgundy interior and matching stripes. I always thought it would look better with gold stripes and had I kept it, I would have had them changed.

Later!
Mr. Ed

I've been thinking a lot about it.. its one of those little details that may not matter to a lot of other guys but I am hung up on this a bit. I'm going to take them off for now and think about what color if any I would like to see their when they are gone. I think that is the only way I'll know what I would be happy with for sure. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2019 at 6:31am
So.. another small detail that I sort of hung up over is the color of the rear window trim. From the factory the rear window trim is painted to match the top. I have another set of rear window trim that I am having painted black. My stock set will be stripped and my dad is going to polish them because they are free of dents. At that point I am going to compare the looks of the two different versions before I make up my mind totally. I am 90% certain I will use the polished set because I want to give it that old school classic feel of a black top surrounded by stainless steel pieces... but if for some reason I really like the black surround.. I want to have those pieces ready too.  

BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2020 at 6:24pm
I just found in my stash a box with the dealer promo books they kind that a in a big three ring binder. They would look cool on your front seat at a car show they are for 1983. If ya want them I'll send them to ya. They should be in better hands than mine. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 6:18am
Originally posted by BMOgremlin BMOgremlin wrote:

I just found in my stash a box with the dealer promo books they kind that a in a big three ring binder. They would look cool on your front seat at a car show they are for 1983. If ya want them I'll send them to ya. They should be in better hands than mine. 

Hey thanks! That would be cool! This car's goal is going to Kenosha Homecoming 2020! 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 8:22am
Hello everyone. I have taken a short vacation over the American holiday season and I'm back with more pictures and progress to report.

Windshield and rear window should've been in already but there was a slight delay in getting the chrome trim ready for installation and the back deck shelf needed to be properly cut out for 6x9 speakers which was made easier by not having a rear window! 

The biggest thing recently is that the body shop buffed and polished the whole car's paint. Holy Cow. The paint is so good looking now that the difference between the engine bay and the old exterior paint is barely noticeable. I was quite shocked at how well they brought back the gloss coat on my car. As you can tell by the pictures.. the top of the fenders and cowl area blend into the engine bay very very nicely. Its so close its barely noticeable and I am very impressed by this similarity. In the pictures.. you can tell the inner fender lip has not been cleaned or polished yet and still shows the high level of contamination in the original paint. The bright shiny paint really offsets the black top even better now and I am really really happy with the over all look so far.

Also.. the new pinstripe was applied, new hinge pins and bushing as well as window seals and sweeps were installed in the front doors and all the chrome accessories were installed as well. This includes the Ventshades, NOS mud flaps and wheel well trim. Once the freshly polished front/rear window trim and the black 3 piece Barcelona rims with are installed this car should really be looking sharp. 

Last but not least... they also undercoated the rear portion of the wheels wells behind the front wheels. I was really tron on wanting to do this... I didn't want to cover up all the fresh paint but at the same time I know that I'll be driving the heck out of this car and didn't want the new paint to be nicked up and chipped.. so the body shop recommended that the rear wheel well areas be undercoated and leave the front portion in fresh paint. I thought this was a good compromise and told them to move forward with it as the rocks from the tires would be spit up in the rear area more so than anything. 

Also last but not least I have just a few pictures that show off just how sanitary it is underneath now. While this is not a points style restoration... it's quite a bit cleaner than what was under there before! 

This picture was taken before the body was cleaned up... but here's the baby is resting... (stock 1973 Javelin 304 for those of you just joining us).... 

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Jan/06/2020 at 8:26am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 10:12am
One more thing I wanted to make note of... this is my friend Frankie's Jeep.

He bought the 258 engine out of my Concord and installed it in his plow Jeep! He used a Weber carb and its running like a champ for him. I am very very happy that the engine worked out so well for him. I thought that it would be best suited for a Jeep because I put an RV camshaft in it when it was rebuilt. He is a Mechanic and knew exactly what he was doing. I am going to be very honest here.. my old engine runs better in his Jeep than it ever did for me! Ha.. I am very very happy for my new friend and his old working Jeep!

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2020 at 8:54pm
Here's some pics from the book 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2020 at 8:56pm
A couple more
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2020 at 6:25am
That's cool! It even has a maroon car in it! 

That picture reminds me about why I wanted to change the top to black. The maroon vinyl was never an exact match to the paint and the two different shades always bothered me! haha

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
  Share Topic