TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper
    Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 9:43am
Well the time has come to finally start the build thread for my 1982 AMC Concord 4dr.

My 1982 AMC Concord has had its front end stripped and has been delivered to the body shop to have the engine bay stripped, repaired, repainted and restored to a factory style finish.

After the engine bay is refinished a v8 cross-member and a 1973 AMC Javelin 304 will be installed in the engine bay. After the engine is installed.. the entire front end will have all the steering, brake and suspension components replaced with brand new pieces.

Here are some progress pictures... Unfortunately I cannot share them all as I have taken too many.. but I hope you will get the idea.

The current short term overall goal for my Concord is to rebuild entire front end, install v8 engine, upgrade 904 trans to handle power of small v8, restore the engine bay back to factory original condition and replace the vinyl top as well. In the future I would like to build a bigger badder 360 to take the place of the 304, add a few more pieces to the car and ultimately paint the entire car at some point as well.

(I forgot to take pictures of the outside dog leg rust areas behind the front wheels... I hope to get them tonight after I pick up the fenders and valance from the body shop after they are removed.) 

Any positive comments or questions.. please feel free to post! 

Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 9:48am
Nice! Good looking paint job. Shame about the fender dent but looks like you have that under control.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

Nice! Good looking paint job. Shame about the fender dent but looks like you have that under control.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Thanks Ed.

Yes. The paint and undercoating has held up good. The body guy said "I'm going to be honest here... I've seen a lot worse! At least we are starting with a good foundation." 

The worst of it is under the battery tray and behind the driver's side wheel. The battery exploded while I was driving down the road one day. You can kind of tell how the wind blew the battery acid down the side of the engine bay on that side. I was a kid when it happened and I couldn't really do much to fix it at the time. 

The dent on the driver's fender has been there since before I purchased the car. I let a Dent Doctor type guy recently take a shot at it and he managed to get a lot of that dent out but there are a few more steps he'd like to try to get it the rest of the way out when time permits. He didn't have enough time because he happened to visit my friends shop as the car was being loaded to take to the body shop... and we gave him a few moments to impress me. Well.. surprisingly.. the did a good job in the few minutes he had. I look forward to the day when the car gets refinished and the dent is totally gone forever but I figured after 26 years of seeing that dent.. I'd finally give someone a crack at it. Its on the edge of the fender and not in a good area but thankfully the paint did not crack or chip.  

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Sep/05/2019 at 10:37am
3904speed View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3904speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 7:18pm
That looks to be a sleeper for sure! Nice project!
Godspeed 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 7:34am
Originally posted by 3904speed 3904speed wrote:

That looks to be a sleeper for sure! Nice project!
Godspeed 

Thanks.... one day I'll have a bigger badder engine but for right now the 304 acts as a good place holder.

I can't wait to see it with a new black top and the blacked out windows with the stainless steel Ventshades. I also have an NOS set of stainless mud flaps to complete the look too. 
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 9:42pm
Looking Great!!!  Been there i think i know every inch of our 78 Concord on final assembly after 3 years of work...Will be following along....
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 7:59am
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

Looking Great!!!  Been there i think i know every inch of our 78 Concord on final assembly after 3 years of work...Will be following along....

Hi Anthony! I watched almost every single one of your videos. You have provided a great deal of inspiration for my build up! Thank you for detailing your work. I appreciate your support and insight on my project. While my car will not be on the same performance level as your son's Concord wagon... I would welcome your advice. For the record... at this point I'd be curious to know how you modified the wiring harness, set up the ignition and what alternator you used. 

Here is my thread on the alternator... As of right now I intend on using the stock 6 cylinder alt.

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 2:45pm
Thank You!!!!   I used a Delco alt and a MSD dist(Against my will)You should be able to use the same alt from your 6 cyl. it`s even mounted in roughly the same location (Plug And Play) i personally like Mitsubishi alt. same wiring...more stable output...higher amps at a slower rpm...and can handle the higher rpms i through at it...Jr`s Concord has a delco for now but i have a Toyota one waiting in the wings....For me the simpler the ignition the better...i like to make it home...If i had to pick a factory set up i would use the ford and carry and extra box...Thats a lie i would use a GM point`s dist. with a high quality set of points and condenser...the average car drives his classic about a 1,000 miles a year and less after 2 years...at that rate a good set of points in a garage keep car should last untill your wife sells your car while your at work one day...21 year`s for my AMX..18 years in my American...12 years in the Magneto in my wagon  and jrs MSD box will crap out with in 2 years.....I will make you a video of jrs Concord engine compartment over the next several days so if you have anything you would like for me to go over just post your questions  
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2019 at 7:19am
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

Thank You!!!!   I used a Delco alt and a MSD dist(Against my will)You should be able to use the same alt from your 6 cyl. it`s even mounted in roughly the same location (Plug And Play) i personally like Mitsubishi alt. same wiring...more stable output...higher amps at a slower rpm...and can handle the higher rpms i through at it...Jr`s Concord has a delco for now but i have a Toyota one waiting in the wings....For me the simpler the ignition the better...i like to make it home...If i had to pick a factory set up i would use the ford and carry and extra box...Thats a lie i would use a GM point`s dist. with a high quality set of points and condenser...the average car drives his classic about a 1,000 miles a year and less after 2 years...at that rate a good set of points in a garage keep car should last untill your wife sells your car while your at work one day...21 year`s for my AMX..18 years in my American...12 years in the Magneto in my wagon  and jrs MSD box will crap out with in 2 years.....I will make you a video of jrs Concord engine compartment over the next several days so if you have anything you would like for me to go over just post your questions  

Thanks Anthony. For now I intend on using as much of the stock stuff as possible. I have a brand new Motorcraft dizzy in it now.. I thought I would add the larger Ford style TFI cap and rotor, related TFI parts and re-curve the distributor with as spring kit.

https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/4730-304-360-amc-ignition-upgrade-article.html

As much I's I'd like to add the MSD box.. not sure if its entirely necessary and I don't want to risk a failure on the road. What I want is the least expensive most dependable set up for now to get the car running. 

I am looking forward to seeing your video. I have been told that after the emissions control computer is out of the car.. the rest of the wiring is basically a 76 Hornet.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Sep/09/2019 at 7:21am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 1:00pm
Hi everyone in AMC land.. I am back again.. car has had the engine bay and surrounding front end sections blasted. Metal work starts today and tomorrow. There are 3 areas that need some attention. Both sides of the upper dog leg areas behind the wheels both need to have small sections cut out and replaced. Those are probably the worst areas. There is a small hole in the exterior section in front of the drivers side wheel that will also need some work as well. The battery area of the frame was pitted (from an exploded battery) but actually it turned out a lot better than we expected. He's still not totally done blasting it out... but all in all... the structure was all pretty solid and I am really glad. About another week or so and it will be back in the shop for reassembly. I cannot wait.   

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Sep/19/2019 at 1:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic