TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

speedo speedometer gear sources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: speedo speedometer gear sources
    Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 10:52pm
i need a 20-tooth gear for a T96. is this "Ford type"? looks like one. couldn't find a previous post on this.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 12:06pm
Amark has some.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 3:23pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 9:36pm
thanks! yeah there's supposed to be 20-tooth in there, but for soem reason it's 18, so 50 mph actual reads 63 to 65. i suppose that's one way to save gas...

FritzF3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FritzF3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 2:11pm
Scott,
Is there a chart that shows you which speedo gear you should have? 
Fritz
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 3:38pm
FritzF3 - what year make and model of car ?
What Transmission, Rear End Gear Ratio, and Rear Tire Size ?
Depending, the "objective" is probably 1,000 Revs Per Mile
on your Speedometer Cable at the Speedometer Head in the dash.
I like to do the math calculations long hand myself just to compare to the TSM Chart

There -IS- a Chart in the back of Chapter 4 Electrical, in the 1969 AMC Factory TSM Technical Service Manual.

tomj - did you check with any local Transmission Shops in your area for a speedometer gear ?

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Aug/15/2019 at 3:42pm
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by FritzF3 FritzF3 wrote:

Scott,
Is there a chart that shows you which speedo gear you should have? 
Fritz

Fritz, the best way to get an accurate speedo reading is to use a GPS speed & what shows on the speedo to calculate the percentage of error. Do this at the speed you want it to be most accurate. Then pull the driven gear, count the teeth, then change the tooth count by the percentage of error. Add teeth to slow it down, subtract teeth to speed it up. This gets it as close as it is going to get without swapping lots of gears & hoping.
FritzF3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FritzF3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 8:05pm
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely use that when we get the AMX back together.
Fritz

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

tomj - did you check with any local Transmission Shops in your area for a speedometer gear ?

huh? no! that would have been SENSIBLE! it's nearly two miles away!

i visualized one, burned incense, and said OMMMMM.... i'm sure one will arrive soon.

i was buying stuff from Summit so i added one to the order.

one or the other will appear just as i need it... think good thoughts for me.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 9:59pm
fritz: what scot says.

i find it easiest to use the Android app DigiHUD (or something like it) that has a resettable trip odometer. GPS is accurate in a straight line, less so on twisty roads. one way to do this is to drive down a freeway (few turns), when your in-dash odo rolls to some easy number (xxxx99.0 etc) reset the GPS trip odo. drive 10 or so miles, doesn't have to be a round number. pull off and stop.

subtract the original odo (xxxx99.0) from the current reading, for "indicated" elapsed miles. divide the larger number (GPS trip odo, or your speedo odo) by the other number. it'll be 1.xxx fraction. 1.12 is 12%, etc. that's the percent error.

*** if the trip odo is LARGER, your speedo is reading low, the gear is too large: reduce by the error percentage.

*** if the trip odo is SMALLER, your speedo reading is high, the gear is too small; increase tooth count by the error percentage.

round to the closest whole number.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic